Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minflick

Are these spider mites?

minflick
11 years ago

I've been finding some teeny red spider looking thing inside my house, where they drop down onto something white, and move with blinding speed across the surface. Onto a roll of tp, onto a receipt, etc. Much too speedy for me to get the camera and snap them, dammit. When I reflexively smoosh them with my thumb, it leaves a bright red streak across the paper. It LOOKS like a spider in micro - bright red body AND legs, longer legs than I've noticed in the past on spider mites. Body was max 1 mm, legs possibly slightly longer, overall, maybe 2 mm across, not a full 3 mm across.

Today, outside by one of my roses, one dropped on my hand - looked identical to what I'd seen 3 times indoors (room on the other side of the wall from the rose, with window and screen which is usually open).

The pictures I've seen online of spider mites look different - more 'mitey', less spidery, with no or less pigment on the legs. Mine were red everywhere, legs included. So, what the heck are they, and what do I do about them.

Comments (2)