Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflower unidentified black spots

Posted by akdahlia WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 23:25

Hi, I this my first year growing sunflowers, and I kinda went nuts. I don't have any giant ones, just velvet and autumn mixes. All grown from seed inside and transferred outside after second set of true leaves. I have noticed that they are growing exponentially but they have also been getting some black spots on them and some are shriveling at the top. I was so excited for these flowers I hope I can save them (or at least prevent it in the future) I just need help identified the problem. I've asked gardening friends and they don't have a clue. I suspect some fungus or mold. There are MANY more pictures of different sunflowers that look just like this one. It's been REALLY wet here over the past couple months. (Yes I know it's WA state, but it's really been raining!) Please help me help my sunflowers by identifying this issue! Thank you for your time!

Image link: Sunflower unidentified black spots (32 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflower unidentified black spots

Is there a plant/plants hanging over the fence that could be infested with insects creating this black soot that appears to be covering the ground around the plant? Or is that my eyes playing tricks with a shadow? Or is it just my eyes?
If what's wrong with your plants was caused by excessive moisture, it could be a fungus. There are many fugicides available. Neem, Cinnamon or sulfur comes to mind.

o

The one shown in the picture is next to a peony and a rhody. neither are hanging over it. But I have sunflowers all over and some are quite by themselves not next to other plants or fences. I am really quite new to gardening myself (grew up planting with my mom in Alaska, and just bought a house less than a year ago) so I am not sure exactly what to use in this case. I think your are right with the excessive moisture/fungus thing. I will research and try the items you mentioned! Thanks for the input, I really wasn't sure what to make of it or use!

o

Rather than use aafungicde or something else, we need to find out what's there.

Have you looked inside the curled leaves. Could be aphids, sucking tissue, producing honeydew, which then is covered with sooty mold. Or not.

In any event, always best to find out what you're shooting at before you fire!

o

With that resolution, very very hard for a diagnosis. Initial guess would be fungal, but with the tiny size of the pic provided, just a WAG.

Dan

o

I have some other photos, ill try to switch them. I have not found ANY bugs/eggs on them or near them!

o

hmm ran out of time for now to figure out how to post html photo, not even sure if I can in the forum but here is a link to another photo...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31266746&l=29829c15ef&id=64200046

Here is a link that might be useful: Another photo

o

Interesting discoloration. But I still don't know what it is. However, now I can see that the soil is wet rather than moldy as some had suspected.

o

Not much better pic. Definitely interesting challenge for diagnosis - surely the one lf with discoloration along veins is a confounding factor. Based on the description, until more info arises, I'm sticking with fungal but not more than 75% convinced.

Dan

o

Yeah, I did buy a fungal/mold spray and I have applied to to 3 plants. I will see how it goes and keep you updated!

o

I too am new to sunflowers outside of one or two I have grown randomly in the past. This year I planted several varieties and have had a lot of success. They are beautiful! However, black spots have started appearing on most of the leaves of all varieties. Some leaves have holes eaten through them, as well. I also have noticed a heavy concentration of black ants. There are no plants in front or behind them but there are Terminix bait traps (for termites) for my neighbor's house within inches of the bed. It never occurred to me that this could be a problem until I put it in writing just now. I have removed all of the leaves that have spots or are dead. Is there anything I can do for them, or will the proximity to the traps always be an issue? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picassa Plant Issues

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here