Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandprix1_gw

box turtle repellent?

grandprix1
11 years ago

We have had a problem the past three years with box turtles getting into our strawberry and raspberry garden. The turtle takes a bite out of the strawberry/raspberry and then moves on to another one, leaving the half eaten berry behind. We are losing most of our berries because of the turtles. We have tried using a small fence around the garden, but the turtles have eaten through the fence. Does anyone have a suggestion what we could use to keep the turtles out? We do not want to harm the turtles, just keep them out of the berry garden. We would like to have a natural or homemade repellent that will not harm the turtle, but keep them away? any recommendation will be appreciated!

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Exclusion is your only option, I'm afraid. I would think that a small fence made of hardware cloth would be effective.

This might be the first time I've ever read that someone was pestered by box turtles, lol!

• helenh
    11 years ago

Pick them up and move them somewhere else. Surely there aren't that many and they aren't hard to catch.

• grandprix1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey, your both of your responses were fun! OH yes, we tried moving them, but they seem to make their way back. Last year we were aware of 6 different turtles. One day we went out and three were in at the same time! One is rather persistent and has been returning for the past few years. We do like seeing them in the yard and want to try to protect them, since they are not found in in our area like they use to be years ago. Guess we will just have to put up a higher and more secure barrier. The plastic netting and 1 inch high brick does not work. Your responses did make me chuckle. Yes, they are pestering the berries and nope, they are not hard to catch!

11 years ago

I haven't seen a box turtle in years...the thought of rampaging turtles makes me laugh. Clearly, the word has spread about your strawberries.

• calliope
    11 years ago

My son finds them occasionally on his farm, and my step-daughter rescued one recently on her little ranch when it was crossing the road. They have been on my mind lately as well because I was just rueing the fact that I've only seen one crossing a road so far this year and they used to be a common sight as people tried to drive around them. Habitat loss, I guess. I am struggling with whether you are cursed or blessed.

11 years ago

I guess you'd feel cursed if your personal box turtles had fresh strawberries on their lips. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Box turtles

• helenh
    11 years ago

It is fun when they try to breed ( I am really not weird). The male turns red or orange on his legs and neck. I had one that I kept having to turn over because he would fall off the female and tip over. I buy all sorts of short metal fences to try to redirect my dogs and cats that are only about a foot high; you can find them at Lowe's. I have seen wattle fences that I think you could make out of sticks cheaply that would look nice. I would leave some strawberries for the turtles though.

Here is a link that might be useful: wattle fence

• grandprix1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cursed vs. blessed? well...... blessed! (except that they like the berries a bit too much). They are interesting to have around. Something new to us. One morning, one of the box turtles was eating a dead rabbit that somehow made it to our yard during the night. We are not box turtle experts and did not realize they ate carrion, but this turtle was going after it rather aggressively. Also last year, we watched two of the turtles dig holes and deposit their eggs. We tried to 'protect' the eggs and the surrounding, but suspect predators got to them. Hopefully the turtles will continue to thrive in our area. Thanks for everyone's comments!