Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
caterpillars on maple trunk in upstate NY

Posted by lalala 6b (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 0:46

I am visiting someone in upstate NY...can anyone tell me what caterpillar would infest the trunk of a maple tree at this time of year? The leaves look fine. It is a hairy caterpillar that camouflages well against the trunk (has brown/black/gray coloring). I saw several crawling up the tree, and a few dead ones. It looks like they might be living under the bark.

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: caterpillars on maple trunk in upstate NY

lalala, it is impressive that you have taken the time and made the effort to find an answer - during a social? trip.
This best I can do is This Link.
Hope it helps.

o

Maybe, possibly Carpenterworms"

Here is a link that might be useful: carpenterworms

o

post a pic???

consider.. they may be using the tree as a roost [for lack of a better word] ... as you seem to indicate.. they are already maturing ...

you might get the answer direct.. by calling the local county extension office on monday ... they may.. offhand.. know what around ...

ken

o

• Posted by lalala 6b (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 12:17

Thanks everyone! Here is a picture of a caterpillar. There is some evidence of possible boring (see next post for that picture) but the caterpillars don't look like carpenter worms.

Ronalawn, gotta keep busy somehow while visiting the in laws!! They were worried about their tree so I thought I'd try to get the answer.

o

• Posted by lalala 6b (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 6, 14 at 12:20

Here is what looks like boring holes with sap leaking out. Maybe they have carpenter worms and the hairy caterpillars are unrelated?

o

Lala, ken offered some excellent advice. Have your friend call or email the local Cornell Extension office and ask what it might be.

I haven't seen a gypsy moth caterpillar in about 45 years but that's the first thing I think of when I saw your picture. They hatch from egg masses on the trunk and then move up to the foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here