Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickrosesn

Strange lawn bug at Night

Nick Rose
11 years ago

My family just moved into my moms house that she grew up in and at night there are these strange flying bugs in the backyard lawn. They don't look like moths, at least they don't have the typical wing as a moth. They are fleshy in color almost gooey like and they only come out when it turns dark. My mom says that she never saw these types when she grew up at the house.

What kind of bugs are these? The house is in San Mateo California.

Comments (13)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Night-flying gooshy things? Need images!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

would you know a bat if you saw it??? ... they seem to look like they flutter around the yard .. rather than fly ... and they are our friends in the night sky ... and if its quiet enough ... you can hear their radar peeps ....

more descriptive info would help..

size.. and anything else.. if you cant provide a pic

ken

ps: maybe your new neighbors are throwing flubber at you.. and messin with your head.. lol ...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Ok, nick....I really like a good mystery, but this is one of the worst descriptions I've seen in these forums. I love it! And that's saying a lot! I'm teasing you and don't intend to hurt your feelings.

What size are these things? What shape is the body? What are the wings like? Are they attracted to lights, or flowers, or do they flutter anywhere? And...define gooey!

Of course, a picture would be best. Snatch a couple, stick them in the freezer for a few minutes to slow them down, take some good pictures.

• Nick Rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hopefully I can catch one tonight, so I will probably have a picture or two tomorrow. I could be wrong but they might be around a penny or nickle size or slightly smaller. When a I had the strong work light on near the lawn some went near it. They seem to just stick near the lawn. Gooey as in they look flesh color like and kind of wet.

• Nick Rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did catch one but its moving to much so I just put it into the freezer. Pictures to come later. But it looks like a beetle but its flesh color.

• Nick Rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its much smaller then I thought. Since it was night time and something strange buzzing around me I over thought the size.

• IAmSupernova
    11 years ago

That's a june bug. Would recognize it anywhere, we get them by the thousands around here..

• Nick Rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going to be applying Scott's Summer Guard this week will this help with any grubs that might be in the dirt? How do you kill the adults flying around? Will a bug zapper work?

11 years ago

with one of the hardest shells in the insect world..

how in the heck did you come up with gooey???

i was wondering about Japanese beetles.. and this.. but ruled it out completely ...

lol

they are harmless.. as far as i know.. a minor irritant ..

do you really need to start chemical warfare ???? well i guess if its in lawn fert otherwise.. its not really an over reaction ...

ken

• IAmSupernova
    11 years ago

They are extremely attracted to light, but they're horrible flyers.. They fly around like they're drunk and blind. I dunno if a bug zapper would really be effective against them. Maybe if you found one that's about 4 feet tall and 3 feet wide.. Lol.

• Nick Rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Reading on the Internet it says that the eggs which turn into grubs will eat the roots of the grass and kill the grass. Will nematodes or milky spore really work to kill these grubs? Also will a light over a bucket with oil help reduce the number of adult June Bugs.

11 years ago

grubs will eat the roots of the grass and kill the grass.

==>>

not if you are dumping 4 bags of scotts stuff on it per year on your lawn ...

you are young.. referring to mom.. so what you need is a primer on IPM.. integrated pest management.. google it.. or someone else.. rhiz.. can give you a brief overview...

here are my abbreviated thoughts ...

grubs will not kill an otherwise healthy lawn ... and.. per above.. if you are dumping scotts.. forget about the lawn ...

you will NEVER defeat mother nature.. and her hordes ... the plagues come and go over the years... and you MIGHT manage a population.. but you will never win..

you always TRY,.. key word there .. to manage it to an acceptable level .. and frankly.. you have given no facts which indicate you have a serious enough problem .. that needs to be fixed ... you nearly make sound.. like you are ready for nuclear warfare.. because you saw them in your yard.. whats that all about????

be very specific.. WHAT IF ANY DAMAGE HAVE YOU FOUND.. that requires intervention???? mere presence is NOT sufficient ... they are not going to gang up .... and flash mob your house while you sleep ...

and when you get a good learning curve going.. you might want to think about if your lawn.. really needs 4 fertilizing a year.. been there.. done that.. and came to the conclusion.. that it is brilliant marketing.. but your lawn.. will look just as good with half of what they sell you ... once the weeds are all gone ... [i mean really.. once you eradicate crab grass from your lawn.. do you really need to treat for crabgrass EVERY season ... i would suggest that nears on pollution.. rather than a reaction to an actual problem]

discover your garden.. learn about the bugs.. but truly come to understand.. everything you find.. DOES NOT REQUIRE A REACTION ON YOUR PART ... there HAS TO BE.. damage .. to require a reaction ... or a KNOWN potential ... and finding a few bugs.. is not enough ... IMHO ... there are just about no bugs.. whose only goal in life is to come and harm you.. personally ... so accept their presence .. on some level ...

again.. besides being there.. what if any damage are these bugs doing???? wiki says the generic name is derived from the greek to mean 'leaf eater' .. can you find the damage.. if any????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: does your lawn look splotchy????

• Nick Rose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Ken- That was a long post and didn't really answer my question. Milky Spore and the Nematodes are a natural way to deal with the pests. Yes I have not checked the dirt to see if there are any grubs but it is very likely when you the adults you'll have the grubs.

Yes I'm young, 26, but that doesn't mean I have no clue of how to deal wth the garden. Yes some things are new to me like dealing with these pest but that's what's fun about having a good sized garden. Also who said I was going to dump 4 bags of scotts on the lawn, that would be over kill.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022