Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insects on my artichoke

Posted by bulletz64 z8 SEA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 10 at 0:57

Does anyone know what these are? I found them in clusters on my artichoke plant. I sprayed them with water to get them off the plant, and I wish they're gone for good... but if not, what can I do to kill them? Is there any safe way I can eliminate them? I'm doing organic gardening so I'd like to use safe products for my plants. Any ideas please? Thanks so much.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insects on my artichoke

Look like black aphids from here. Insecticidal soap works fine.

Dan

o

Fighting aphids are just a normal part of taking care of a garden. Frequent water sprays are in your future. Insecticidal soap applications can really help, too, as Dan suggests.

Those aphids look like they're dressed in their formal attire, basic black. Wonder what kind of event they're going to?

o

Whatever event it is - maybe celebrating that superhuman effort on the Tourmalet today - they are going for the artichoke dip.

Dan

o

Hahaha! You guys are funny! And I do appreciate the immediate response too. Thank you...

I thought aphids are only white like those I see in my rose plants. So, would water with dawn work on them? Or do I have to buy a specific insecticidal soap to spray it with?

o

Aphids are white, green, black, some to my eye yellow-green. Water with a non-anti-bac soap is fine. Crush a clove of garlic and ~tsp cayenne is even better. Tbsp of veg oil better still (all in a qt sprayer).

Dan

o

Dan, you have missed out on some great aphid fashions! They come in pretty pink, red, spotted, and my fave: bright yellow with black stockings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oleander aphid (aka milkweed aphid)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here