Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
english lavender ?

Posted by Digginlife 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 1:05

First off I'm pretty sure ??? its English lavender(A)? : / Its 2 years old and bloomed very nicely already. I cut back the whole plant spent flowers and leaves but left 2-3 inches of green on the wood stems which I thought was recommended. I thought it would rebloom but Now some parts are dying.I'm in zone 6 gets morn and some afternoon sun and its been in the 90s past 2 weeks. Is this from me pruning ? heat? watering ? mulch more,less? No fertilizer was used. Any advice? I can take pics closer or underneath if needed.
Also was curious about "thing"(B) I left it for a while in fear of pulling up a flower Whats your take ? weed?
thanks all in advance !!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: english lavender ?

It looks like your lavender has died back on the right and left. I don't know why, but you might as well cut those parts off. The middle looks nice and green, though, so I'd say the plant is okay. I have never had a lavender that rebloomed, but maybe some kinds do; hopefully someone more knowledgeable about them will chime in. IME, lavender likes good drainage more than anything else, and the presence or absence of mulch doesn't make much difference. Stick your finger in the soil and make sure it's not sitting with wet roots.

As to B - it looks to me like a young mugwort, which is not a good thing at all. I could very well be wrong,though, so you may want to take a closeup of just that plant and post it on the Name That Plant forum, as the people who answer there are magical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here