Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
7-8 different pests - please help identify!

Posted by nostalgicgardener Colorado (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 3:54

Hello everyone. I found several pests in my garden this year and would very much appreciate your help with identification and any suggestions for remedies.

1. I believe these are spider eggs on the netting around my raised beds.

2. Gooey white substance. Unsure what this is.

3. Found these on the under sides of the leaves of my broccoli and kale plants.

4. This white stuff just recently appeared on the top side of a few leaves on a broccoli plant.

5. Found this guy underneath a kale leaf. No idea what this is.

6. Found this guy underneath a kale leaf. No idea what this is.

7. I believe this is a cabbage worm/moth. They are wreaking havoc on my broccoli plants and on some plants have consumed almost entire leaves!

This is my 3rd year with an outdoor vegetable garden. Outdoors, I've never had problems that a little neem oil spray couldn't solve. However, this was my first year having a lot of house plants. I had a TON of gorgeous, exotic house plants. I thought I had seen it all after fighting mealy bugs, white flies, fungus flies, and even mushrooms growing out of the soil. Boy, was I wrong!

I really prefer to keep things organic. I did resort to pyrethrum for the indoor infestation. But those were not edible plants. However, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 7-8 different pests - please help identify!

1. Could be a Spiders egg mass. If so they are not pests but are beneficial, although passive. At this time do nothing.
2. Where was this found?
3. Could be eggs of the Imported Cabbageworm or Cabbage Looper.
4. Might be Powdery Mildew.
5. Unidentifiable from that picture.
6. Unidentifiable from that picture.
7. Could be the Imported Cabbageworm or Cabbage Looper.
Early control of these cabbage pests involves the use of Bacillus thuringinsis - Kurstaki with Spinosad for later stages.
The pyrethrums are very broad spectrum poisons that should be used only as a last resort.

o

1. Not a spider eggs, but who knows what?

2. Can't really see this one. From the picture, I'd "guess" spider egg mass, lol.

4. What plant? Doesn't seem like PM, more like sawfly damage?

5. Leaf hopper of some species.

6. Aphid Mummy....the swollen remains of a parasitized aphid. Good that you have active biological control in your garden....but look out for aphids feeding in your plants.

o

4. possible environmental damage -- Image of larger portion of the plant might help us determine what it is

7. caterpillar - possible diamond back moth -- Doesn't really matter because it's eating your edible leaves - squish it. Next time you plant, immediately add row cover. Doing so now could be hazardous in that the caterpillars will have sheltered site to feed at will.

8. possible bird damage - resembles what the goldfinches did to my orach this year.

o

as to your title alone... every bug you find.. is NOT a pest ...

words mean things.. and pests mean eradication is necessary ...

if you begin with the premise .. that everything is a pest ... i think you are starting on the wrong foot ...

dont get me wrong.. knowledge is power.. and to ID bugs is fantastic ... but every bug is not a pest ..

ken

o

And some pests, when few in number, are not a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here