Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

New insect found please identify

chilliwin
10 years ago

A couple of times I have seen it under the chili plants' leaves please tell me something about it. It has a long single hair white tail. Is it beneficial or harmful?

{{gwi:1173373}}

Thanks in advance.
Caelian

Comments (23)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Caelian, I'm afraid that I can't make out any distinguishing characteristics from this image.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Maybe it's one of the lacewing larvae coming out of the egg sac that Rhizo1 identified the other day?

Rhizo1, your thoughts?

Kevin

10 years ago

I think I can say with some confidance that it's not a lacewing larva. I believe that I see wings in the image.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rhizo and Kevin, thank you for the opinions. Here is another picture. Most of the time I found them under the leaves.

{{gwi:1173374}}

Caelian

• calliope
    10 years ago

I think this really looks like a diptera (fly) of some form, and an adult one since it is winged. Those filaments sticking out the rump (and I see two in the last picture) are called cerci and it really doesn't help identify exactly what it is, because lots of insects have them. It's probably used as a sensory organ. Aside from that, I have no clue. It really doesn't strike me as anything I've ever took notice of.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Calliope, thank you for the opinion. It is not easy to take a good picture.

I have minor problems of aphids so I would like to keep some beneficial insects. I am trying to know the information of insects I have found in my garden.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got a bit better picture today but the wings are not visible.

{{gwi:1173375}}

This one is one of the frequent visitors, please identify.

{{gwi:1173383}}

The Winter is coming, for the first time we got a foggy morning today. My chili plants do not have 90% ripe pods it makes me worry a lot and thinking are these plants going to produce ripe pods for this season. Some of the new plants Ghost Yellow and Fatali are looked so real but the pods are only about one inch long. Ghost Red are also have a lot of flowers but do not have pods yet. Aphids are keep attacking some of my Ghost Orange plants and hesitate to apply insecticidal soap, whenever I applied it the flowers dropped, I never got any good result except my non-chili plants. I am just wondering to apply without giving full strength, half the dose of the soap.

How would you deal aphids? Any advice and opinions to fight aphids will be appreciated.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another insect, please identify.

{{gwi:1173386}}

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A lot of insects in this thread, I do not like to start a new thread so just I added new found ones. I do not know it is a good idea, any suggestion and opinions will be appreciated.

I think spider is a beneficial insect but this one I do not know. This species does not have web only crawling under the leaves.

{{gwi:1173391}}

{{gwi:1173392}}

I am requesting your opinions, are they beneficial?

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

10 years ago

The "frequent visitor " looks like a hover fly. The spider appears to be what we call a Harvestman spider.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rhizo_1, thank you for the clue of these insects, you are very resourceful.

They are beneficial, I feel lucky. Today I destroyed some eggs probably the eggs of Harvestman Spider. Still I have couple of them, they may be cleaned the aphids.

Caelian

10 years ago

Caelian: blasts of just plain water will take care of many of the aphids. Do it early in the morning, and then again a few days later and then again. You'll notice the populations decrease significantly.

Kevin

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, thank you for the advice. It could be very useful, I will do it.

Caelian

• calliope
    10 years ago

Caelin, are you in Europe or the New World? The more I look at the first insect, the one with the long 'tails' the more I think it looks like a Mayfly of some sort. They are found all over the world, and depending where you live could be any size from quite tiny to rather large. If it is in that group of flies, they do not even have mouthparts as adults, and would be of no harm to a plant. The are found terrestrially in the adult form, though need to be near water in their early stages.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Calliope, thank you for the information. I am in Europe.

Caelian

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

For future reference, chilliwin, that 7 (the Plant Hardiness Zone) tells us very little about anything except which plants might survive a normal winter where you are. You do need to put in so it shows on your posts that you are in Denmark.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kimmsr, I do not know what you are looking for. I used GW's "zone finder" to find my zone.

Since last year I have grown chili mainly and some vegetables, they are in the containers.

In fact I hate gardening before, I do not have enough knowledge of gardening too. The plants those survive every winter without any protection for my garden are roses.

Caelian

10 years ago

Caelian: I think kimmsr is suggesting that you add Denmark to your zone info.

Kevin

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kevin, thank you for helping me to understand what he meant. Denmark (zone 7) is correct.It is a very good suggestion, thank you Kimmsr.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have posted the young one before in this thread. Today I found a bigger one and I am thinking about lacewings family insects. Please give me any idea of this insects:

{{gwi:1173393}}

Thanks in advance.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Calliope is right, it looks like more "mayfly" than lacewings.

Caelian

• scorpman1
    10 years ago

you can buy ladybug and lacewings online to take care of your aphids, ladybugs and their young are the best as they are aphid eating machines but there are some ants that farm aphids like cattle. the aphids give the ants a sugary food and the ants protect the aphids even move them to better plants. the lacewing looking bug I agree looks like a type of mayfly. then there is the hoverfly, the spider is a what we call in the states a daddy longlegs the small ones do eat aphids and other bugs, the little wasp is also a good guy he hunts for spiders and larve of things like moths. as far as your peppers go I have friends that plant them in pots in colder areas so they can take them inside when winter hit and also grow them in their gardens with much success. my grandfather grew hot peppers every year he started them inside sooner then normal like in December or January by the end of summer his pepper plants were 4 ft. tall and about the same size round and full of peppers

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scorpman1, thank you for the advice.

Aphids are under control I think and I have found many beneficial insects too.

My super hot chilies made a good impression here, I got visitors :-). For the winter I'd do over winter some of them and I'll do all my best to keep them alive and healthy.

Caelian