Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie90

Help please. Is my whole garden infected with the same thing, a

Newbie90
9 years ago

I've only just moved in to a new place with a garden at the start of this month, there is a cherry Tree and It had lots of cherries on, we even ate a few. But then a few weeks ago as if by over night the fruit disappeared and the leafs began to wither and curl. Anyway now my pear tree was looking fine and I was really happy but they have suddenly got black spots over them. I'm now worried because I brought a dwarf peach tree the other day and don't know if it can spread to that especially as because looking around my garden a lot of plants seem to have something wrong. Any help would be great

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there is a very active fruit forum ..

production of fruit... to perfection.. require a strict regimen of multiple spraying thru the season ....

imperfection is the result of not doing all the spraying ...

one need not do it all.. and still get a little fruit ... but crops fluctuate thru the years ...

i see nothing wrong with the pear that i would worry about ..... other than it hasnt been sprayed 5 times this year ...

its kinda.. that time of year.. for all the leaf maladies to show up ... its just not that big a deal.. for me ... and its too late to prevent ...

so you have plenty of time to learn ... and make your own decisions in regard to such ...

even ugly fruit can be eaten... just take the time to pare off the skin ...

full fall cleanup of all fallen leaves.. is a great way to kick off for next year ...

ken

ps: as you can tell.. i am not a fruit expert that hangs in the fruit forum ... lol ..once the kids rolled thru.. i just didnt want to do all the spraying... or i got lazy ... and came up with that excuse ...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Your picture isn't helpful in showing us all of the issues. All I can see is what looks like damage from a type of sawfly larva, probably a pear slug (not a slug but sawfly larva) . They scrape the surface of the leaves, which is obvious in your picture.

I've found that sawfly larvae, especially the slug varieties, are easy to control with insecticidal soap spray.

If you can take pictures of the other problems, maybe we can help.

Ken, you need to educate yourself about the culture of fruit trees. They aren't nearly as difficult to grow as you seem to think. Something to think about before preaching to others, perhaps?

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 9:09

• Newbie90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I could only figure out how to do one picture upload per post here is another this is the cherry Tree leafs

• Newbie90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is my peach tree, as you can see it's not as bad as the others but it's like something has spread through the garden as I can't rememberiitvbeing like this at the garden centre.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

First, there are very few gardening issues that will be very widespread throughout a garden. Most plant disease tend to be rather host specific and even most insects have their preferences.

Second, many folks overreact to insect damage on foliage. Unless it concerns a portion of the plant intended to be eaten, like lettuce greens, cabbage, etc., holes in foliage caused by insects are really only cosmetic in their seriousness. They cause the plant no harm. Often it is more disruptive to spray to control than it is to ignore.

Both the pear and the peach show some insect damage. Nothing I would worry about. Pears can also develop scab, a fungal disease that can produce brownish gray lesions on both foliage and fruit. This is a possibility but I can't tell for sure just from that photo. Regardless, unless a severe case (and this is not, if at all) it too is of no lasting harm. Any damage to the fruit is just a surface blemish - the meat under the skin is fine.

Cherries can have an assortment of ailments and a fungal leaf curl can be one of them. Curling or distortion of tip growth (the newest foliage) is more often a sign of aphids or other sucking insects, which may be long gone by now. Neither one of these issues is life threatening to the tree :-))

New gardeners can understandably be alarmed when they see these things happening while oldies like me tend to pass them off as NBD. It is important to remember that plants in our gardens are subject to a infinite number of influences, most of which we can't or shouldn't attempt to control. You will enjoy your garden so much more if you allow some tolerance for less than perfection :-)) Keep asking questions - that's how you learn - but don't freak out.

And it is quite possible to grow wonderful fruit trees without spraying 5 times a year. Often a single dormant spray is more than sufficient and if you are as tolerant as I to the vagaries of nature, it is pretty easy to get by without ANY spraying. After all, as home gardeners we are not growing for supermarket perfection!

• Newbie90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankyou so much gardengal48 you have definitely made me feel much more at ease :)

• Newbie90
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thankyou so much gardengal48 you have definitely made me feel much more at ease :)

• Newbie90
    Original Author
    9 years ago