Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
very intersting picture - may be wrong forum

Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 6:47

A friend of mine's kids brought home this dead thing and she has no idea what it is....she said it looks like a chipmunk with a moth body...long thing in picture is a wing?? Does anyone have a clue? She lives in Massachusetts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: very intersting picture - may be wrong forum

It's one of the Sphinx moths.....no idea which one from that picture. Since you didn't take the picture I can say that it's practically useless for identification purposes, lol.

o

• Posted by dinajean upstate SC -Zone 7b (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 8:38

Good suggestion...I will pass that along to her, thanks!

o

Have her take a picture from above so that I can see the pattern and shape of the wings.

o

Try looking at pix of Hyles gallii to see if it matches. They have that tan and brown wing pattern as well as the white body stripe.

tj

o

Here are some images of Sphinx Moths.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sphinx Moths

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here