Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mossonarock

What's eating my sweet potatoes?

Mossonarock
10 years ago

This morning I was looking out my window over my sweet potatoes and saw one of the vines twitch back and forth a couple times. I grabbed my hand spade and ran! But I was too late. I tugged at the vine and found it snipped off from the roots. I dug down and found the potato completely gone. All I found was a tunnel about 1.5 inches in diameter. This is the first time I actually saw this happen. Nearly all my Beauregards have been eaten. I just bought this property and this is my first season here. So, I am still unfamiliar with the place. I have seen a small critter on the property that I really do not recognize. Its brown, bigger than a chipmunk but smaller than a squirrel. I would say they average 4-6 inches in length. It has small ears, a short inch long bare tail, pointy nose, and small ears. I really have no idea what they might be and I'm not sure if they are the culprit involved.
So, what sort of underground dwelling creature would eat whole sweet potatoes? And what could I do about it?

Comments (7)