Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Assassin bug or leaf footed bug nymphs?

Posted by jds0901 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 8:53

Can someone ID these for me? I found them on the leaves of a zucchini plant. Last year I saw some similar nymphs, thought they were wheelbug nymphs, and about a week later was overrun by leaf footed bugs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Assassin bug or leaf footed bug nymphs?

This is just another picture of the same bugs.

o

Just bumping this back up so someone might see it...

o

I'm sorry....I could have sworn that I answered this a few days ago! I must not have hit the 'send' button.

Looks like more leaf footed bugs nymphs, to me.

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 18:42

Assassin bug nymph.

Leaf footed nymphs have the characteristic leaf footed look just like the adults.

o

Lkzz, you need to recheck your images. :-) Truthfully, I cannot think of a single truebug species in which the nymph looks like the adult.

Though the nymph of some assassin bugs are very similar to that of the leaffooted bug nymph, whenever I see those dots on the back of the red nymph, I think of LFB.

o

They appear to be Leaf Footed nymphs, and below is a link showing pictures and identification:

We used to see Wheelbugs(assassin bugs) in our
garden and around the house(never indoors though). They had an early nymph stage that appeared orange, but only the far rear abdomen as orange, with the forward half on the thorax and head black.

http://thecitrusguy.blogspot.com/2012/06/you-put-your-leaf-foot-in.html

o

They do remind me of juvenile assassin bugs. Last year I had a herd of them on my Korean Dark Green peppers (and sometimes on the Thais) that seemed to be tended by adults. Strangest bug behavior that I've seen in the garden. The peppers, or course, suffered not at all.

Dennis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here