Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphids taking over balcony plants!

Posted by Duanea none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 9:27

I have a big problem with aphids both inside and outside my apartment. The problem started with an indoor basil plant about 2 years ago and now every plant I get either indoor or outdoor seems to eventually become infested with aphids until it dies. I have an insect repellent which I have used but usually that seems to do more damage to the plant that the aphids. I know ladybugs are natural predators of aphids so I was wondering is it possible to but them and introduce them to the plant as a natural control method?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphids taking over balcony plants!

I have an insect repellent which I have used but usually that seems to do more damage to the plant that the aphids.

3rd most common question on this board during the year. Many, many threads describe this issue. Search for 'insecticidal soap'.

Dan

o

"Search for 'insecticidal soap'."

Or "aphids...spray with water".

tj

o

Aphids can be easily controle with just a sharp spray of water to knock them off the plant. Aphids prefer to feed on lush green growth usually caused from excess Nitrogen use. You could use an Insecticidal Soap spray, which also would knock the wee buggers off the plant where they would die anyway, but the plain water is just as effective. Some people think that because the next generation of Aphids appears the ones they just knocked off the have returned, but by the time you see an Aphid you can have at least 5 generations on the plant and those are the ones you see so you do need to spray again. You would also need to do that with the Insecticidal Soap.

o

Or simply squish them.

To tell the truth, aphids are a fact of life for plants and anyone who tries to grow plants, indoors or out.

o

I seldom see Aphids on any of my plants indoors or outdoors. Insect pest problems are not there on plants growing in a good healthy soil.

o

Not true. Pest insects can and will be found on plants growing in 'good healthy soil'. The plants, however, are more likely to be able to tolerate an infestation and recuperate more rapidly.

o

Ok thanks. I have been squishing them and spraying them, its going to be a long process!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here