Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danell_hiltz

Castille soap, Neem or Alcohol for Mites?

Danell Hiltz
10 years ago

I've read all of these will work, some suggest using both alcohol and Neem together for a double whammy.

I had/have an infestation on Junipers I first treated with Neem then later went to jets of water, then ladybugs and lacewings. The mites just moved to infest Nandina and Portugeuse Laurel. What to do?

Will using Castille, Neem or Alcohol kill beneficials that may then cause mite population to explode? I need some real help here. Thanks.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

at some point.. if you want to succeed.. you might have to forego the organics.. and declare war ... and go chemical ... as in using a mitecide ....

be very careful about whatever you spray.. in the HEAT OF SUMMER...

something that will suffocate a bug in spring.. might darn well suffocate a plant in july/august...

ken

• calliope
    10 years ago

I dislike miticides.......and if used properly there is no reason you cannot use a summer weight, ultra-refined hort oil. Just read the label for directions about heat and direct sunlight. I have found oils to be the best product against heavy mite infestations. Do not confuse it with dormant oil spray. Oils can cause some foliar damage if used improperly and make sure the plant you use it on is listed on the label. The oil must contact the pest you target directly, so that means there is no nasty residual to kill beneficials who are not directly spray

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, can you recommend a good oil calliope? I too am reluctant to use chemical warfare as I know if I kill off the beneficials I may have an even bigger problem later; but may use it as a last resort - just have to decide when the last resort has arrived.

I had planned to spray tomorrow with a one gallon mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol 2:1 ratio plus about 3-4 Tbs of Castille soap. Repeating the spray every 5 days for 3 total sprays then introduce phytoseiulus persimillis or Western pedator spider mites. What do you think guys and gals?

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

danell: I've heard and read that lacewing larvae are good at controlling mites.

Kevin

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

Alcohol sprayed on plants to control insect pests may do more damage to the plants then the insects you are trying to control. Unless the label on the Neem Oil products requires something adding anything may violate federal law about the use of that product and also render that product ineffective.
    Any insecticide can kill off beneficials as well as the pests since few of them are so selective that they can distinguish between the good and the bad. So judicious use of any pesticide is necessary, whether that is an Insecticidal Soap or Carbaryl.
    What to use, if anything is necessary, depends on what you have. Insects require insecticides, if populations are not controlled by other means, Mites need miticides, not pesticides, for control and there is a difference. So proper identification of the problem is necessary to know what to use, but starting with the least toxic material available is usually the best method of control.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I do believe Safer makes a summer-weight ultra refined hort oil......I can't tell you the brand I used to use in the g'houses because it would have been marketed only to professional growers. That's one reason I like oils..........it's a suffocant and it kills in all stage of growth and that includes arachnids like mites as well as any other pest who 'breathes' and that's all of them.

• Danell Hiltz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I've heard good things about Safer products. I have been using the 1:1 ratio of 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and Water with Castille Soap, no adverse effects on plants and it has worked to reduce the numbers. I have now employed predator mites so hope to be rid of this problem while retaining beneficials.