Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cantaloupe damage.... bird?

Posted by bostedo 8a tx-bp-dfw (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 10:12

Anyone know what is likely to be causing this sort of damage to a nearly mature cantaloupe? It almost looks like some bird had been pecking on it. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cantaloupe damage.... bird?

I'm sure that there are other possibilities but in my southern gardens that kind of damage would be from those pesky voles. Good grief, those varmints can do a bunch of damage! Just try growing cucumbers or summer squash when sharing the garden with voles.

o

Probably right about some small rodent. They've been progressively boring out the insides to the rind. Can't use spring traps due to pets, but have set out a bait station.

o

Just a confirmation on the source of the cantaloupe damage. Not voles, but roof rats... I believe... if I have those ears right. Caught six so far and more nibbling at the bait station. Damage has stopped - thanks for pointing me in the direction of rodents. Been so long since we've seen a flare up like this, I hadn't checked the station for signs of activity since last winter. They appear to love the cover of our large stand of Turk's Cap that sits between the cantaloupes and dwarf peaches they were feasting on.

Edit: Added link confirming ID... ears did give it away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Features of Norway vs Roof Rats

This post was edited by bostedo on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 9:20

o

bostedo, nicely networked and resolved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here