Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drea1974

Very small thread like worms in my Phalaenopsis?

drea1974
10 years ago

First let me say I am sorry. I am unable to post a picture of this thing. I will start at the beginning.
I bought this plant about a month and a half ago. It was a super market purchase. She was and is planted in coconut shell/bark medium. I have never replanted her. Her pot has some dirt but not a whole lot. I'd say very little dirt. I am using a 5.5.5 fish emulsion fertilizer on her every week until I can afford to get her an orchid fertilizer. It seems to be working though, because she is sprouting new buds from the spike.
Yesterday was fertilizer day. I fertilized her and sat her in the sink for about 6 minutes for the fertilizer to soak the bark, then I gave her a quick rinse with rain water like I always do on fertilizer day. I sat her in the sink again to drain out the excess water. I picked her up to put her back in her decorative pot when I noticed what looked like very tiny white roots on the inside plastic of the main pot. I looked closer and saw that these roots were moving! When one stopped moving it looked like very very thin white thread. They didn't seem to like the water I guess because they were wriggling to the top of the pot, but not out of the pot.
My Phal is healthy. Some of the top roots are dying but a phal expert told me not to worry about them, as they often will die when new roots are replacing them. Her bottom roots are all green and firm as they should be. Her leaves are a beautiful olive green as is the norm with a healthy Phal. She gets watered every Saturday and fertilized either on Tuesday or Wednesday. Like I said above, she is getting ready to drop her 6 flowers, as she is budding new buds from fresh green spikes.
I must say, I have seen these worms before. I saw them in my tomato plant I had last year. They were in the over flow tray of a pot I have and there were a lot of them. I saw them right after I had watered my tomato plant. I removed the tray and washed them down the drain, sterilized the tray and returned it to the pot. No more worms after that. I did go on Google to find out what they are but I can't seem to get the right identification for it. They aren't horse hair worms, and not planariums, definitely aren't milipede or centipede larvae either. I don't know what they are. In fact I haven't seen a picture of them yet. And they are SO TINY. I wouldn't have gave a second thought about them if I hadn't seen them moving.
Any help would be appreciated. I don't think I can re-pot my Phal as she is still in bloom and budding, and doing so while she is in this stage is ill advised.
Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County