Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!.....Spiders & Webs....my yard looks like Halloween

Posted by firsthome Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 10:44

We just purchased a home that has tons of spiders outside. Our bushes have spider webs all over them. I feel like our front flower beds are decorated for Halloween! It seems as soon as I take a broom and get rid of a spider web....a few days later there is another one in it's place.

Where do all of these spiders come from? Is there a way to make our yard less desirable for spiders? Do they typically live in a certain environment?

Is there something we can do to control them from coming back? Most of the bug sprays I have seen are for things like beetles.....is there a bug spray that would work on spiders to keep them from forming webs in our bushes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!.....Spiders & Webs....my yard looks like Halloween

spiders are your friends.. they are predators of many problem insects.. i would hestitate to get rid of them ... they may be there because another problem pest is in high population ....

where are you .. was the house vacant? ....

take a deep breath .. i know you hate spiders... but dont create bigger problems ...

first step i recommend.. see if spiders are a problem for your new neighbors.. if not.. then you dont need to nuke the place ... they are there for a reason ..

what if they are keeping the blood sucking skeeters in check .. which would you rather have??.. i will take the spiders ...

this years spike in population, for whatever reason .. may not be there next year ...

and try to ID the spiders... i guess i am presuming you have plain old spideys.. and not dangerous ones..

good luck.. ken

o

If there is any way to take a good image or two and post it here, we can ID your spider for you. Unless you want to try your hand at a verbal description of the critter and her web.....some people aren't too good at that, lol!

o

I haven't really seen any of the spiders. Just the webs. But where there are webs....there are spiders.

Our house was never vacant, but we live in a very wooded area, so I am sure we have all sorts of other insects and creatures.

I am not really afraid of having spiders. I am just sick and tired of pulling spider webs out of our bushes, windows, porch railing, etc.

So I take it there is nothing I can do....just the nature of the beast.

o

You might try going out with a flashlight to try to find one in the dark, when they are likely to be active.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here