Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mickapoo

Crepe Myrtle - red/orange leaves

mickapoo
11 years ago

I have a crepe myrtle, Natchez variety, and some of the foliage is turning yellow/orange/red and falling off. I've attached a photo. Does anyone know what this might be? I think it might be a fungus but I'm not completely certain. Thank you!

Comments (10)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I can't think of any fungus problem that would cause that kind of symptom. My first gut reaction is that it is some sort of response to stress of some sort.

Let's see a picture of the whole tree and one of the trunk, including the base where it's growing from the ground.

• steven1032
    11 years ago

looks like my bradford pear when it is stressed for water.

• steven1032
    11 years ago

it was here when i moved in. every summer when have triple digit weather and no rain it looks just like that crepe myrtle. i just dug up a crype myrtle and planted roses in its place. that is diffentily drought stress. you ever put a soaker hose and give it a good two hour soaking?

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    7 years ago

I am having the same problem with my Natchez right now. I was wondering if it could be caused by poor drainage.

• dhohorst
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I just planted 8 new Natchez and two of them have red leaves. At first I thought I might have gotten a different varietal. Now I think it may be the stress of replanting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

not without pix.. ken

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    7 years ago

dhohorst this happened to me, and then the tree bloomed pink. The nursery sold me the wrong varietal of crepe myrtle.

• dhohorst
    7 years ago

It wouldn't be the first time for me either. Really scary when the nurseries don't have a clue what they have. Of course, every time it happens it involves Lowes - go figure. I eagerly await the blooms and hope it is just in need of some fungicide.

• tviviano
    3 years ago

Did your Natchez crepe myrtle with the red leaves ever grow and bloom the way it was supposed to? I planted 5 new natchez crepe myrtles, and the same thing is happening now! A couple are brownish-red, and the others are bright redish leaves... I think it might be because they are getting too much water, but I don't know if I should just return the plants and get new ones... I really like the natchez variety!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21