Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shawski_gw

Need Help Identifing Bugs.

shawski
9 years ago

Hello,
I built my first raise garden beds this year - and am slowly being introduced to a world of insects I never even knew existed. Would anyone please help me identify the guy in the photo below? I tried googling it but the photos online never seem to actually like the bugs in my yard. I *think* it's an assassin bug (therefore good!) but I saw him leaving little dots on my plants with the stinger on his butt and I want to make sure. (Not marks on the plant - either eggs or secretions).
Thank you!

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Eeek.....that's the adult moth of the dreaded Squash Vine Borer. Google to understand why you should be alarmed.

Nothing like an assassinbug, sorry.

• shawski
    Original Author
    9 years ago

EEEK Indeed! Ok, so I mildly panicked and ran out into the rain to see what was out there. I found 1 adult, and killed it good. Then I went through and scrapped off the eggs I could find. I see no evidence of borrowing, and I even sacrificed a squash plant to my panic that loked droopy [it's been raining HEAVILY for days, so I'm sure they just need a little sun] and there wasn't anything in there. First time I noticed these bugs [I'm quite attentive] was this past Sunday. I've only ever seen 2. I found about 20 eggs and got rid of them, mostly on 2 plants [not much on the other 8 or so squash plants]. I have been spraying weekly with neem oil every Sunday, but since it started raiing Sunday and hasn't stopped so I haven't sprayed this week. I assume that if I spray tonight or tomorrow [when it's supposed to clear up] it will kill the eggs and then there will be no burrowing, and the adults will stay away [again, they only showed up at the end of my 7 days without neem so i"m thinking if I keep spraying the chances of a fall squash feast are still good?]

Thank you!

• shawski
    Original Author
    9 years ago

EEEK Indeed! Ok, so I mildly panicked and ran out into the rain to see what was out there. I found 1 adult, and killed it good. Then I went through and scrapped off the eggs I could find. I see no evidence of borrowing, and I even sacrificed a squash plant to my panic that loked droopy [it's been raining HEAVILY for days, so I'm sure they just need a little sun] and there wasn't anything in there. First time I noticed these bugs [I'm quite attentive] was this past Sunday. I've only ever seen 2. I found about 20 eggs and got rid of them, mostly on 2 plants [not much on the other 8 or so squash plants]. I have been spraying weekly with neem oil every Sunday, but since it started raiing Sunday and hasn't stopped so I haven't sprayed this week. I assume that if I spray tonight or tomorrow [when it's supposed to clear up] it will kill the eggs and then there will be no burrowing, and the adults will stay away [again, they only showed up at the end of my 7 days without neem so i"m thinking if I keep spraying the chances of a fall squash feast are still good?]

Thank you!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Just be sure that you're identifying the eggs properly. Your hope with the neem is that it will not only smother the eggs, but also pevent the moth from laying eggs in the first place. Try to limit your spraying to the lower portions of the plants.

For the last few years I've been using a product called 'Surround', a deterrent made of kaolin clay. When applied in a couple or three coats, it forms a very irritating layer of white/gray clay that insects avoid. It may also confuse them, but the irritation is the primary quality.

It also reflects the sun and so reduces heat stress and sun scald, improving yield and fruit quality. For squash, I spray the stems and lower leaves.....both for SVB AND to reduce heat stress in my Alabama sun.