Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Straggly Rubber Plant

Posted by Ros1234 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 11:17

Can anyone advise me please on how to make my Rubber Plant bushier. It is very lively and producing lots of new leaves. However as you can see it is becoming top heavy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Straggly Rubber Plant

To begin, much more light.

o

I Kindof have the same problem, for the longest time it only had one vertical branch, after several cuttings it finally grew another one but it leans away from the window, it's kinda weird.

o

Following on from my previous message, my Rubber Plant is in a conservatory so I don't think it needs more light? Is there anything that can be done to encourage more shoots on the lower, bare, stems?

o

i would research propagation.. using the latin name.. and see if i couldnt root smaller pieces ..

and rejuvenate the plant by basically starting over ..

you should plenty of ideas about such in the houseplant forum ...

in theory.. it will be the same plant.. so if there is any emotional history.. it remains ...

what you are asking.. is if you can change the genetic tendencies of the plant.. by somehow changing its culture... i dont believe you can ...

i have never seen a conservatory with engineered wood floors.. interior wood trim .. and drywall .. must be some setup ...

ken

o

Ros1234, I do not believe that light is a limiting factor because the leaf spacing (internode length) looks like a Ficus grown outdoors.
Here are some suggestions.

o

Can you put it outside in half a day of sun for the summer?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here