Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zucchini Leaf Pest or Disease?

Posted by Reach_For_The_Sun 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 11:24

I am not sure if the photos are of one thing or two but many of my zucchini leaves are beginning to show signs of something.

images here:
http://useKit.com/share/11545/Q1NZl07z

I have noted aphids on the eggplants next to them but I don't think they are causing this problem.

I have no idea what might be doing the eating.

The other kinda looks like thrip damage but I see no sign of the larvae and black excretions.

I am at a loss any help identifying what the problem(s) are and suggestions of how to get rid of them is much appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zucchini Leaf Pest or Disease?

Hungry beast(s)!
I've seen extensive damage as that done by night-eating caterpillars. So go out after 10PM or so, flashlight in hand, & look at tops, bottom & edges of leaves.

The other damage NOT thrips. Probably mechanical damage while leaf was still expanding.

o

Thanks for the info. I will look tonight.

I can't say I have ever heard of a plant hurting itself when growing.

o

"mechanical damage" as in someone or something brushed against the leaf.

o

I checked and nothing that would do that kind of damage. Maybe a caterpiller was there at one time but not tonight. Still not certain

As for the other damage I have walked between the rows but for the amount of leaves that are effected I don't think it is from that. Still searching

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here