Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazypotatos

Earwigs in corn, something eating sunflower seedlings

crazypotatos
10 years ago

Hi,
I have probably 15 corn plants in my backyard garden. They are just now actually starting to produce the corn (you can see the silks) and the tassle on top is all the way out. Well, Every time I go over to the silks, I see earwigs in the silks. I try to pick them out, but that doesn't really work long term. I tried spreading diatomaceous earth around the stalks, but that didn't work very well either. They ate all of the silk on one of the corn down to where there is barely any left. Trying to keep it organic, so I have no idea what to do with this stupid things. I tried the oil with soy sauce in a tuna can, but a skunk came by and ate all of the oil and knocked down my fence. So that didn't work very well (i wasn't able to see if the traps got any earwigs). What can I do about this?

Also I just put some sunflower seedlings in the ground (its super late, I know, I just found some seeds and decided to try my luck) and I came out this morning and probably 5 of them either had the leaves completely removed or the entire plant was gone. I have 30ish plants growing there. I googled and found that it might have been squirrels or rabbits. I saw that, this is funny, this person put out that laxative chocolate stuff for the squirrels or whatever to eat to deter them from coming back LOL

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to keep it organic.

Comments (2)