Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uncle_t

Deterring raccoons--ammonia, urine or both?

uncle_t
10 years ago

Hi folks,

Over the past few weeks a mother raccoon and her two young ones have decided to visit our backyard every other night. They have been continually pulling up the recently laid rolls of sod, looking for grubs or whatever. I have a very nice vegetable patch growing, and yet they haven't touched it...yet.
They have left several piles of scat underneath my deck which is also immediately above my basement window (downstairs den). Ironically, I sometimes stay up late
at night and keep that window open. Does defecating bravely in front of an open window mean they are comfortable and intend on staying? Are they marking with scat my backyard as territory, like a dog or a bear? If it is a territorial marking thing, has anyone heard of using one's own urine to "counter mark" a territorial boundary?

I've since cleaned up their scat, and am wondering if anyone has used ammonia, urine or both to deter raccoons. For I don't want to loose this year's tomato crop to these critters. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Comments (2)