Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newgardener33

What's happeing to my garden plants?

NewGardener33
10 years ago

My plants are turning yellow and also being eaten by bugs! What do I need to do to save them? :(

Comments (9)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Pull out the weeds which are taking nutrients away from plants and providing hiding places for slugs. Then sprinkle some Sluggo around under the plants.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

are you in NW OH.. where you have been repeatedly hit by rain.. lots of rain.. tons of rain???

BTW.. looks like one plant is yellowing.. do you know what it is??? ...

the rest.. especially the weds look brilliant green ....

ken

ps: whats at 3 o'clock on the first pic.. cardboard ....???... is the plant planted in it????

• NewGardener33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks susanzone5 and ken_adrian for your responses!

@susanzone5 Yes, the weeds are outrageous this year and I can't seem to keep up with them. I plan to pull them out this weekend when I have more time. I think I see squash bugs on the plants also, will sluggo help with them?

@ken_adrian Yes, I'm in Northwest Ohio and have indeed received a lot of rain over the past few weeks. Which is causing lots of weeds to sprout up.

The yellowing plant is squash.

Yes, that is cardboard. I put it in between my rows to help prevent the weeds from popping up.

• blackthumb6001 Lamkin
    10 years ago

Looks like squash vine borers. Look it up. I hate them! Look at the vine for holes laced with something that looks like sawdust.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Beer and midnight raids works as well as Sluggo and don't harm the environment.
    Squash Vine Borers are pests, but become fascinating moths that mimic bees to a T. I suggest planting extra vines and enjoying the show. A mature vine usually can handle a moderate load of these native moths.

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

Sluggo is organic, made from iron phosphate and wheat starch. Won't hurt environment, just slugs. Sluggo Plus has spinosad which kills lots of things and I wouldn't use it. Beer traps are messy and need cleaning and refilling and are a pain in the neck. Just fyi.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

I would be more concerned about the yellow leaves....could be a number of things....
    Slugs don't really cause that much concern....just puts holes in the leaves and makes them look a bit ugly.....photosynthesis is still taking place and your plant is really in no grave danger....
    I agree with susanzone5.....pull the weeds and clean up your garden....dispose of any diseased leaves etc and this will help more than concerning youself about a few slugs.

• blackthumb6001 Lamkin
    10 years ago

I discovered squash vine borers three summers ago. I had a giant beautiful pumpkin plant that started yellowing at the leaves towards the stalk. Soon the plant was dead. What I didn't know at the time was that they overwinter in the ground. Last year I started squash and pumpkin. As soon as they hatch (supposedly late June) my plants were attacked so bad that they died within days. This year I'm trying my hardest. I had four beautiful zuchinni plants, 2 squash and one pumpkin. I'm down to 2 zuchinni plants just from noticing the initial damage last week.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Most of us don't have the room to spare for extra vines, leafhead. And how does one convince the moths to lay their eggs on extra plants and not all of them? Advice needs to be practical or it will never be applied. The SVB can be devastating in the backyard garden.

New, Sluggo will not effect anything but slugs (and to a degree, snails).