Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darko_v

indoor lavender, problem

darko_v
10 years ago

hello
i have this lavender for few months, when it came it was already in bad condition (i suppose someone just let it dry). today i spotted a net on it. is it a "normal" spider net or some special kind of pest? in any case what can i do about that?

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

Spider mites infestation (plant pest), and not a good one.

Is the pot of a size you can turn it upside down with your fingers spread over the dirt holding on, and swish it in a sink or tub of water with a bit of soap added?

And, why are you growing this mediterrean plant inside. Hot sun and good drainage should make it happy...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

spider mites...???

you brought a very giant problem into your house... and you knew in advance.. it had problems ....

i hope it isnt near any other house plants ...

if you see webs.. but no spiders.. then mites it usually is ... especially on a drought stressed plant ...

google such

ken

ps: next time.. isolate plants before adding them to your indoor collection ... to be on the safe side....

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

That's a very advanced infestation of spider mites. There's no question that I would toss the plant in the trash, were it mine. If it has been in proximity with any other plants, you'll need to do a very careful inspection.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

The answer is in the title of your post, if one changes the punctuation. "Indoor lavender: problem." Unless you have HUGE windows or skylights, a plant that needs as much sun as lavender is not worth bothering inside.

However, I see that you're in Turkey, so it may be necessary to bring most plants inside so they don't burn up. Even so, I think lavender is one that would still be better outside, likes brutal sun and doesn't mind dry air.

Not having enough sunlight probably contributed to it becoming unhealthy enough to be so overwhelmed by pests. Also, there are no predators inside to keep a pest issue under natural control. I wouldn't keep it inside with these spider mites on it either, but would give it a chance to try to recover outside, although I understand not everyone has a place for plants outside.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Lavender is native to the Mediterranean - I can't think growing it outdoors in Turkey would pose much of a problem.........

Here is a very rough rule of thumb - if a plant grows naturally outdoors in most temperate areas - like lavender and other herbs - it will not do well as a houseplant. Too dry, too low light conditions and not enough temperature variation through the year. There is a reason why in the northern hemisphere most long-term houseplants are tropical and semitropical species :-)

• darko_v
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all
    as you can guess i'm new in this so i learned it the hard way. i searched and read about mites so i decided to throw the plant :(
    now i'm anxious about the rest of plants... well i'll do what i can (close inspection, keep them separated, spraying with water...)