Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango seedlings leaf problems

Posted by JoseMariaChavez none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 12:36

A few couple of weeks ago I planted some mango seeds, which grew just fine (healthy, fast and sturdy). The ones that grew the faster were two Tommy Atkins's seeds which are the ones appearing in the images. Nowadays, some of the leaves in one of them are kind of "burning", but only in certain parts of them. Several only have one little spot that dries up and make its surroundings of the leaf shrivel, or appeared in the borders, which make the leaf curl up.

In addition, a leaf of the first tree seem (in my opinion ,taking in mind that I planted them at the same time, and the other tree's leaves are more green) to be quite yellow, with some dark veins... (the picture does'nt show the leaf affected) PLEASE help me out

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango seedlings leaf problems

They'll have a tough time indoors with the resulting low light and (probably) heat level.
Any reason they can't go outdoors and into the ground?

o

I live in a desertic area, and being mangoes tropical plants, I'm afraid they'll wither. Besides, the soil in my backyard is quite compressed and poor.

Should I be taking them outside??? Will they live in the "desertic" conditions?

o

Also, should I put them in direct sunlight, or is indirect sunlight fine.

o

Mine have been outdoors in pots since we got them. Houston has more humidity that it sounds like you have, but they made it through our drought summers. I nearly lost one wintering in our garage, but it broke out in full leaf once it got back outside. I'd try it -- make sure they get enough water. Mine have been both out in the open sun and under a patio with mostly filtered sun, but more than it appears you have in that photo.

o

I live in El Paso, Texas. It's supposed to be "rainy season", but taking in mind that El Paso is in the middle of a desert, we don't have much humidity nor precipitation, so the sun is harsh and the environment utterly dry. Also my backyard is full of critters and this day I experimented with the healthiest seedling I had, but after a while outside I noticed these tiny spiders running up and down the stem and the leaves, so that leaves my with two questions:

- Don't mango trees need a wet environment to thrive, or at least grow in a far more humid place?

- Managing and dealing with the critters (mainly bad or pests) wouldn't mean an extra effort and extra money wasted?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here