Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's this bug?

Posted by mikalaka 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 12:43

Hello,

I'm a newbie gardener and in the past 2 weeks have had some issues I'm trying to solve. First my cucumbers had a light powder coating. They're Diva which I thought were resistant to mildew. I've sprayed them a couple times with insecticidal soap and baking soda, and that seemed to have gone away. Now the lower leaves are just mottled with yellow spots. Undersides are fine. They do eventually die (shrivel up brown and die) along the bottom. Now, I've noticed some of my squash (right next to cucumbers) also have this.

Now yesterday, I've noticed the cucumber leaves, squash leaves (same 4x4 bed) and eggplant and beans (nearby but different 4x4 bed) all have holes eaten in them, with brown thin patches and some white splotches (excrement??). Doing some googling brought me to the idea that it was cucumber beetles that gave them bacteria wilt!

I've been out this morning looking and have found no such beetles.

The only thing I found was this one..which when I look in my books and online doesn't look like a squash beetle (I don't think anyways). Could this be causing my problems?? Does anyone know what this is? He was sitting on my eggplant leaes this morning.

Image link: What's this bug? (56 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's this bug?

That, my friend, is a great picture of one of the assassin bugs! Strictly carnivorous! They stab their long feeding tube into their victim and after injecting their toxic saliva that liquifies the 'innards', they suck their victims dry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another image of your Assassin bug

o

• Posted by hortster 6A southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 14:19

Looks like some type of assassin bug, of which there are many, good predators in the garden.
hortster

Here is a link that might be useful: Assassin bugs

o

Ah - thank you so much! So, we'll leave the assissin bugs alone. So the question then to follow that up with, is any idea what could be causing all this damage? A few weeks ago I found a skinny green catepillar. (I don't know what kind.) But right now I don't see anything out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of my veggies - Diseased? Pest Eaten?

o

• Posted by hortster 6A southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 20:00

The notching on the leaves indicates some kind of insect munching, the "burning" or "scorching" indicates some disease or some other non-parisitc problem. Have a local extension service? Probably the way to go.
hortster

o

That's a great suggestion - thanks horster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here