Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apg4

Pest repellant?

apg4
10 years ago

When you have the only garden for blocks in any direction, every critter assumes it's free lunch (and dinner and breakfast...) time over at chez-moi. War with the squirrels in the apple tree. Netted the blueberries and grapes, but it still isn't enough. Had to armor the saffron patch against furry thieves. Now the corn disappeared overnight. Some critter(s) calmly shucked and devoured just the kernels on all the ears that had any size on the small patch of bi-color corn. Already relocated two 'coons, a possum and two squirrels....

A neighbor who doesn't garden gave me a jug of "Repels-All" that, according to the label, repells virtually all animals with a nose. Made of dried blood, "putrescent egg solids" and garlic oil, the stuff might just repell me as well...but hey, it's all organic!

We've reverse-inherited the two grand-dogs (one is blind) and we can't leave 'em out 24/7. I put a lot of work into the garden, but get bloody little out of it. I've tried tricks like fruit/veggies with odd colors (pink blueberries, white eggplant, etc...) but the pests learn pretty quick and I can't fence/net everything.

Any tips that might work - other than a shotgun and plenty of ammo?

Comments (2)

• susanzone5 (NY)
    10 years ago

I do own a .410 shotgun and have used it when desperate. After 35+ years of gardening I pretty much have developed methods to make my gardening easier.

First is a fenced-in garden with quarter inch hardware mesh along the bottom. Lots of traps of all sizes from havahart cages to rat traps to mousetraps, baited with apples. I use a can of soapy water to tap insects into, and have learned how to squish pest bugs faster than they can escape.

I gave up growing corn because of pests and space. I plant only deer/rabbit-proof bulbs, flowers, shrubs outside of the fence. I cried enough over eaten plants. Experience and lists of plants tell you what works in your area.

When there are no bears in the area I sprinkle dried blood all around which keeps deer away. I don't use smelly sprays because I am sensitive to bad smells. I gave up on root crops because of tunneling varmints and buy my organic beets and carrots at the markets. I grow a lot of greens and peas, tomatoes, cukes, leeks, garlic, herbs, etc. and have some pests at some times and bounty harvests at other times. Every year is different depending on conditions.

Decide what you want to get out of it. Nice flowers? Some veggies? A relaxing place to work? A place to get rid of your energy and calm your nerves?

Tailor what you grow to that. After trying various plants and pest controls, I have come up with what makes me enjoy my garden with no poison and relatively few problems.

There is no such thing as a pest-free garden, so when you can accept that there will be days when your plants get chewed or you have to set traps, that will be when you start to enjoy being out there.

Take time to smell the roses, watch the birds, and enjoy the play of nature in your garden from a seat.

• apg4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been gardening - organically - for 35+ years as well. When I bought the house 33 years ago, I planted an apple tree in the front yard, and though it has a prolific blossom-set each season, I have yet to get a single apple. They get a big as golf balls, then the squirrels attack: take a bite, not ripe, pick another 'til all are gone. Purchased a squirrel-sized Havahart a week ago and have already relocated 4. I'm going to armor a few apples with hardware cloth so the grand-kid can pick at least one.

Tried owl and snake decoys...moved around each day. The owl could actually turn with the wind. City critters don't know from owls and snakes....

Elaborate trellis netting on wine grapes, blueberries and raspberries were only marginally effective. Forget any brassicas: when you've got the only cabbage or broccoli for blocks in any direction, it's ground zero for cabbage moths/worms - even with prodigeous dustings of BT. Good luck with herbs, tho'. Three patches of saffron corms have disappeared, so this year, the bed got armored....

The veggie patch gets smaller every year. I'm getting too old for this....