Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mslucyra

yellow eggs

mslucyra
11 years ago

Last night I spread lots of new dirt all over the area I'm gardening - looked great. This morning, to my dismay, there are many - too many to consider counting - small yellow round eggs all over the dirt. I've seen some postings about yellow eggs but those were more oval and attached to leaves or other things. These eggs are spread out, individually - no bunches, or clumps, and they are not on any plants that were already there.

My questions: what are they? If I need to get rid of them how do I do this? So far squishing isn't a pleasant experience and it's far too time consuming. I'm afraid of poisoning them because I don't want nasty stuff on my newly planted seeds, plus these things seem fairly sturdy.

Help ASAP, please!

Comments (14)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Probably not eggs at all. Rather one of the many fungus-like organisms which help degrade dead organic matter.

Some of the larger scale forms are called dog vomit fungus. Looks gross and can even move. (Yikes!)

Likely yours will remain where they are.

Pictures would help us be certain.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

We want a picture!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

You said 'spread new soil'....was it by chance a bagged garden product that could have contained fertilizer pellets you are just noticing today?

Only a guess of course without a photo...

Here is a link that might be useful: Example fertilizer in commercial garden soil

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I was thinking the same thing, morz.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

If fertilizer, they will be brittle when squished.
    If a slime mold, will be oozy.

We still want pictures, please!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

my guess is that it was fertilizer.. and she is too embarrassed to come back and admit it ...

they seek our wisdom.. and dont even bother to tell us when we guess right ... lol

ken

11 years ago

hi ms lucy .... welcome to GW.. you are supposed to come back here and post replies here in your post ...

since you sent one to me.. i will copy/paste it here ...

the link below.. is how to post pix ... should you wish further info from us .... please do not send them to my personal email ...

and please do come back.. i dont see why you are asking us to forgive you.. if we didnt like helping peeps like yourself.. we wouldnt bother at all ...

have a great day

ken

lucy wrote:
    Please forgive me - the question/plea for help was my first time on the
    site. I've taken some pics with my phone but don't know how to send
    them to the forum. So far I can send them to individuals.

To those who have sent replies, THANK you. I did mention in my post
    that the night before I noticed those yellow round things I had spread
    out LOTS of new soil. After I posted my query to the garden site I went
    back to the store where I bought the soil, with samples in hand
    (actually in a baggie!). The garden guy, who said he had been the
    Miracle Gro rep, squished them and immediately walked over to the killer
    spray stuff. I chatted with him, suggesting we look at the packaging of
    the product first.

While the bags of Miracle Gro don't specifically say the fertilizer is
    in small, yellow balls (or eggs LOL), it did indicate the fertilizer is
    coated for slow release. So, my next email will be to the good people
    at MiracleGro, asking them to rethink the info they put on their packaging.

Again, forgive a newbie and thanks for your response.

Sincerely,
    Lucy

Here is a link that might be useful: use the HTML code ... paste it where you type ..

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Now you know what slow release fertilizer looks like!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Lucy, there is nothing to be embarrassed about or to apologize for. No such thing as a question that shouldn't be asked, none of us are born knowing these things - the gardening knowledge comes with experience/time and you'll have that one day too. And will pass on what you've learned to someone else with less experience, it's a happy circle....;)

• mslucyra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More pics of yellow roundies to come!

• mslucyra
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shown in my husband's hand, sans soil.

11 years ago

yep.. osmacote.. or its generic.. FERTILIZER..

see link

the hard coat.. absorbs water.. and releases fert .. then there is another hard coating.. and a month from now.. that one will soften and release.. etc ... [temp is involved too]

i often think of it as one of those jawbreakers that changed color as you sucked on it ...

NOW.. FOCUS!!!... never take advice from that idiot.. who tried to sell you pest control .. and if he was not the owner .. or manager.. consider talking to the manager.. and suggesting that his saleman.. is a fraud..

pshaw on an person IN THE TRADE.. who didnt know what this stuff is.. FRANKLY I WOULD NEVER RETURN TO THE NURSERY.. AFTER I INFORMED THE OWNER WHY.. if you cant tell this really pisses me off ... forgive my language ... [and my typing.. but that is going to change.. lol]

ken

ps: also.. you paid extra for the product you bought, because this was in it ... and you dont really need to pay for this fert.. next time you buy soil ... save some money ... but you didnt really ask about how to fertilize a garden ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Mackiepokie
    9 years ago

Hi All

Just to follow up from previous posts I have also discovered some yellow egg like things on a piece on dead tree in my garden (see attached photo). The clump had the appearance of individual eggs but when I tried to move it, it just turned into a yellow mush! Any ideas what it is?

Mackiepokie

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Slime mold. Not dangerous to people, pets, or plants. Ignore as it will go away on its own.