Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tondajoe

Possible dieffenbachia...with issues

tondajoe
12 years ago

I think this is a dieffenbachia but am not 100% sure so if not please help with ID. My main issue is the limp brown leaves. I recently took it home to repot and to take cuttings. It did stay at my house for about 3-4 days before returning to my office and it's home with great light. it has been at the office for 5days now and i came back from the weekend only to find the brown leaves.

Im wondering (almost hoping) that this could just be some type of shock from the rough journey over the past week or so, or (crossing my fingers it's not) some type of disease.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly helpful and extremely appreciated.

Thanks,

Tonda

Image link:

Comments (7)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Could be transplant shock but several questions I have are what kind of soil is it in? what's the watering schedule? how's the drainage? how much new fertilizer?

tj

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Not a dieffenbachia. Looks like a Spathiphyllum, aka white flag and peace lily.

• tondajoe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The soil is just Earl May potting soil, nothing super special. As for the drainage, i always line the bottom with plenty of river rocks since i am SO aftraid of giving my plants root rot or not having enough drainage. It has not been fertalized in about 3.5weeks. Im afraid to fertalize now i don't want to make things worse.
    When i took it home to replant/transplant it did get off it's watering schedule a little but not much, normaly it get's a good drink on friday's and depending on how dry the soil is some weeks a little drink mid week. I try to keep to a strict watering schedule.

As for the browned leaves, the ones in the picture i had cut off (monday afternoon) only to come to work tuesday and find new brown leaves.

Thanks for the response!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Never, ever, use rocks on the bottom of the pot in hopes of improving drainage. It is much better to keep the media all the same throughout the pot. Rock on the bottom tends to "perch" water above them instead of allowing the water to wick down. Get rid of the rocks. I have no idea what Earl May potting soil is. What is it made of?

tj

• jean001a
    12 years ago

The original rootball is likely drying before the surrounding potting mix.

So, for a while, forget about your strict watering schedule and water the rootball as often as needed. Perhaps every several days for a while.

• tondajoe
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Earl May potting soil "Container mix will help regulate the water needs of plants. It will help shed water from roots in wet conditions yet will hold moisture in dry conditions when the plants need it the most. Container mix is ph adjusted and contains a specially blended combination of sphagnum peat moss, processed pine bark, perlite, lime, gypsum wetting agent, water storing polymers and timed-release plant food"

Ive never heard watering getting "perched" with rocks, i've done this with all of my plants and have never had any issues, i will have to repot again and remove the rocks.

I did cut of the brown leaves on Tuesday (the new brown leaves) and since have only had 1-2 leaves with small brown spots and nothing new.
    I am still just baffled as to why. Hopefully the problem is fixing itself, but i will remove the rocks...at this point i don't see what it would hurt.

Thanks for all the helpful hints
    Tonda

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Hit the link. The best tutorial on GW in regard to drainage in a container. Lengthy, yes, but worth the read.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Al said it best