Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white bug infestation...what is this?

Posted by stephany130 kentucky (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 13:13

Hi all, I have recently discovered an infestation of unidentified white bugs (see photo) on my squash, zucchini, and cucumber plants. Almost every leaf has one of the bugs on them, and the ground is harboring what appears to be their offspring. Parts of all those plants are dying, and the dead, browned leaves of each are covered in white.

--Are the bugs and the dying related?

--Anyone know what kind of bugs these are?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white bug infestation...what is this?

What kind of damage are they doing?

o

Well, like I said, I'm not sure if they are doing the damage or not, but parts of the plants are dying and some of the leaves are covered in white. There are so many of them that I can't imagine they're beneficial, or even neutral, but then again I'm pretty amateur yet. If only I knew what they are...

o

They are probably squash bugs. You should start by removing them as you find them.

o

Oooh, you are right! I just googled "white squash bug" ... and there they are. Thank you :)

o

Oooh, you are right! I just googled "white squash bug" ... and there they are. Thank you :)

o

Those are the nymphs of the common squash bug. I didn't recognize them until kimpa identified them. Be sure to look up pictures of the adults so that you will recognize them.

You might want to consider an application of insecticidal soap just after the sun has gone down SOON. It sounds like you have quite a population of them and that product will help you gain control. Get the upper hand, so to speak.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here