Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scraping Insect Eggs from Bottom of Leaves

Posted by 8fleetfeet 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 14:07

Hello,

This is my first year with a vegetable garden, and my zucchini and yellow squash have REALLY taken a hit from cucumber beetles, squash bugs, leaf-footed bugs, etc. I just had to pull out a few dead / dying plants, and I saw a million more pests than what I thought were there. Gross!

Anyway, my question is this: what is the best way to scrape insect eggs off the underside of leaves? In order to truly remove the eggs, I always end up damaging the leaves with my gardening gloves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scraping Insect Eggs from Bottom of Leaves

Gently squish.

o

Just make sure that you're squishing the enemies' eggs and not those of a beneficial. Isn't it crazy how strongly some of those eggs are glued to the leaf?

o

Really? So I'm supposed to be squishing, not scraping? I had no idea.

Thank you.

And yes, it IS insane how firmly glued those darned eggs are.

o

you can also try natural killers like ladybugs, lacewings, and others they often eat eggs of insects along with aphids and other pests. be careful of what pesticides you use as it is a food garden. move the types of plant around your garden from year to year this will keep the bugs the eat one type of plants from grouping in one area. plants with big leaves can be wiped down but unless you have a lot of free time this is hard to do. get to know the bugs in your area and what they look like. you can check out your local Horticulture Center extensions most offer classes and have tons of info. where I live we have penn state extension. talk to other gardeners in your area. when I worked at lowes in the garden center we had the ortho book which listed almost every bug or issue known, it was helpful to help id things because of the pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here