Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funky yellow stuff

Posted by pb821 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 14:22

I went away for the weekend and came home to find this strange bright yellow sticky stuff growing on the ground in front of my house.

We thought it looked like slime from the movie Ghostbusters.

I've attached a link to some photos if anyone could help me identify it. One of the pics is a close up. Thank you in advance for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: dropshots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funky yellow stuff

Isn't it neat? It's one of the slime 'molds', not a mold or a fungus though. It feeds on organic compounds found in soil, mulch, as dust, etc.

It will disappear on its own, after it has run out of energy. Not harmful to plants, people, or anything else.

o

I think rhizo means "run out of food and moisture."

o

Thanks Rhizo! It's good to know it's not harmful and that I don't need to treat it.

o

You may, or may not, want to know more about this "Fuligo septica" but here is a link to one of the better pages about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuligo septica

o

You are welcome, pb821. There are zillions of different slime molds out there. I don't believe that yours is the infamous 'dog vomit' slime mold, but most of them tend to function in similar ways.

Kimmsr inadvertently linked a web site that illustrates an organism that is more closely related to what you have than Fuligo septica. It's the Physarum slime mold.

This particular species is more likely to found climbing over all kinds of things, including fence posts, aluminum cans, bottles, utility poles, house siding, etc. VERY peculiar, isn't it?

o

So rhizo you don't think a professor of biology at the University of Wisconsin knows what he writes?

o

YUCK!! I have it too!!!! Its all over the place in my mulched beds and there is some actually growing around a sedum plant.

I noticed that it turns brown and just turns to dust after a while, but it looks horrible. I tried picking it up to get rid of it, and it just crumbles. Good to know its not harmful. Does it just come from the mulch yard, or is this something my yard produced?

o

That occurs when conditions are right for it. The "seeds" to produce this, as well as any fungal growth, are always present on any organic matter and when environmental conditions are right they grow, blossom, but they do no harm even though they can be something you would not like to look at.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here