Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracaena fragrans pest?

Posted by podo82 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:26

I have had my corn plant for about 5 months and noticed it was getting dusty so I wiped it down with just a clean paper towel. As I did this, I noticed a lot of what appeared to be black dirt on the leaves, especially at the top of the stalk and the base of the leaves, sort of in between the leaves. Could this be a sign of a pest or just dirt, perhaps trapped as the plant grew (seems unlikely)? A few leaves have also been dying, starting at the tips...but I think this could be fluoride damage. I have been letting the water I use for it set for a few days to allow chlorine/fluoride to evaporate but I also added a time-release stake thingey to fertilize it recently and am thinking this could have been the culprit. The dead spots on the leaves do have a VERY FAINT yellow tinge to the edges. Now I see some dead-looking lines on a few leaves but I'm thinking that I may have accidentally done that while dusting by cracking the leaves?? Does that make sense? I do not have a green thumb but I really don't want to kill this poor plant so please help!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracaena fragrans pest?

Not sure about your soot, but as for fluoride, it will never dissipate. And the chlorine will unless your city uses chloramine, in which case, it too will never dissipate. Watering habits (too much, too little) as well as poor drainage could cause your leaf damage. What kind of potting medium are you using?

tj

o
RE: Dracaena fragrans pest?

Agreed. Also, those fertilizer stakes provide an extreme over-abundance of substance directly adjacent to them, and little or nothing throughout the rest of the pot.

The black residue could have been spider mites.

Does the pot have a drain hole?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here