Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spider mites!

Posted by warrengk ca (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 14:35

I have spider mites in certain parts of my garden. They were all over my brugs, but ive been using malathion trying to battle them. well it worked on my brugs, and no return spider mites, but on other things in my yard its taking a little longer and more applications to kill them, than it did with the brugs. I live in california, and am very tired of this problem. what systemic or anything else will kill them almost in one shot? ive used the bayer mix and pour systemics, which i dont think did any damage to the spider mites! please help me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spider mites!

You might want to know that the use of malathion has been documented to have a rebound effect: because it kills so many important beneficial insects the pests are able to multiply like crazy. In general terms, the more you use those kinds of pesticides, the more you HAVE to, and the less effective they become.

I wish I could help you with your mite problem. My choice has been to avoid those plants that are known pest magnets. I do use certain pesticides upon occasion, such as insecticidal soap and Neem oil, but nothing else to speak of.

Hopefully, some helpful souls will jump in with some helpful and long term advice. Good luck.

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 15:30

It has been my experience with mites that you can never get 'em all. The pesticide resistant ones reproduce with more offspring that is also resistant. Since they reproduce about every four days they can return quickly. The method I use on my tomatoes is to give them a bath every three or four days when the mites are active. I spray upward to the underside of the foliage from below with heavy droplets from the nozzle (a stiff spray can damage foliage) with enough force to flood the foliage, knocking them off the undersides of the leaves and drowning them.
Mites may build a resistance to pesticides, but they never will learn to swim. Besides, I don't like chems on the 'maters.
hortster

o

You can get rid of all of them with repeated applications of neem and soap & water. I had them inside for 2 years and finally got rid of them all last winter. Rotate applications every 5-7 days for at least 6 weeks. Check out this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: does this sound like spider mites?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here