Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puggylover75_gw

Grasshopper ID?

Does anyone know what this is? Some type of Grasshopper?

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It's one of the numerous katydid species. Pretty, isn't it?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you really like to mess with these peeps.. dont you rhiz .. rotflmbo ... every bug is beautiful to her ... even the deadly ones.. lol ... not that this one is harmful in any other way.. than the ear splitting hangover hurting ear splitting screeching all night long ... yeah.. sure.. its cute as a bug.. literally ....

do note.. that is is on the ceiling.. unless she has popcorned walls ... i am guessing.. a minor heart palpitation at first sight... unless she lives in the south and bugs are just so common.. but then she would have known what it is..

i was going to guess it was a katy.. but i didnt want to knock her down with a wrong answer.. and google brought all up with shiny clear wings.. is this one just immature.. or is that just the type??/

apparently i should hit send and find something better to do with my time...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Ken, you're confusing katydids with cicadas. They're related in that they are both insects, but that's about it. Are you pulling my leg (as usual) about mixing up the two totally different critters? Cicadas are the screechers and have the clear wings. Katydids have much more refined, crickety sounds.

By the way, the katydid pictured above is a full adult; pretty good disguise, don't you think? As a leaf, I mean.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

confusing katydids with cicadas

===>>> OMG!!! ... you are right..

now mind you.. just the other night i heard my first cicada in MI ....

and you are absolutely correct.. i was thinking of one.. and talking of the other..

set it right

the key to my thoughts above were covered here: apparently i should hit send and find something better to do with my time...

ken