Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grasshopper ID?

Posted by Puggylover75 9B So. Cal (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 14:42

Does anyone know what this is? Some type of Grasshopper?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grasshopper ID?

It's one of the numerous katydid species. Pretty, isn't it?

o

you really like to mess with these peeps.. dont you rhiz .. rotflmbo ... every bug is beautiful to her ... even the deadly ones.. lol ... not that this one is harmful in any other way.. than the ear splitting hangover hurting ear splitting screeching all night long ... yeah.. sure.. its cute as a bug.. literally ....

do note.. that is is on the ceiling.. unless she has popcorned walls ... i am guessing.. a minor heart palpitation at first sight... unless she lives in the south and bugs are just so common.. but then she would have known what it is..

i was going to guess it was a katy.. but i didnt want to knock her down with a wrong answer.. and google brought all up with shiny clear wings.. is this one just immature.. or is that just the type??/

apparently i should hit send and find something better to do with my time...

ken

o

Ken, you're confusing katydids with cicadas. They're related in that they are both insects, but that's about it. Are you pulling my leg (as usual) about mixing up the two totally different critters? Cicadas are the screechers and have the clear wings. Katydids have much more refined, crickety sounds.

By the way, the katydid pictured above is a full adult; pretty good disguise, don't you think? As a leaf, I mean.

o

confusing katydids with cicadas

===>>> OMG!!! ... you are right..

now mind you.. just the other night i heard my first cicada in MI ....

and you are absolutely correct.. i was thinking of one.. and talking of the other..

set it right

the key to my thoughts above were covered here: apparently i should hit send and find something better to do with my time...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here