Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiebyte

Cicada Killers taking over my flower beds~

angiebyte
11 years ago

Cicada Killers are taking over my flower beds. They zoom out of their holes and harass you when you water, they remove the mulch and throw dirt around everywhere, encouraging weeds- they are ruining the look of the flower beds I worked so hard to dig and plant. I am not sure which annoys me more, the look of them or the fact that they are getting REALLY aggressive. I had them last year and let them be- but this year they are too numerous- there are at least a dozen in each bed. I reckon there is one every square foot or two and for some reason they have taken up residence under every one of my roses as well. How do I get rid of these things? Is it true they cannot sting you? Thank you

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

It is NOT true that they can't/won't sting. (How did that rumor ever get started?) I know that they can create little 'villages ' and become a nuisance. As big as these insects are and as numerous in your beds, it's worth noting that stings are very uncommon. I'm the only person that I know of to experience a sting; it was totally my fault...I stepped on her with my bare foot.

I think that you should call your local extension office for some ideas on control.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

I'm the only person that I know of to experience a sting; it was totally my fault...I stepped on her with my bare foot.

==>> ya know.. stepping on something.. and crushing the life out of it.. and then blaming it for stinging you.. is.. well .. a unique explanation.. lol

perhaps physics might suggest.. that you self-inserted the stinger into your foot .. lol

i have had one hovering over the deck for two days now.. i had forgot what they were.. so thx OP for reminding me.. but i have to tell you.. i waive my hand.. and it skedaddles ... but i have to say.. i havent tried waving my nor rhiz's foot at it.. so who knows if it might self insert its stinger into me ...

gotta go find something useful to do.. besides pull rhiz's leg .. or foot..

plagues come and go over the years.. their population is dependent on the kady pop ... if you had a big kady population last year.. that is probably why you have many of these this year.. but they may decimate the population of kadys [if you dont kill them all]... so kady go down.. and eventually they go down.. etc ... its a viciouls predatory cycle.. solving itself.. if you dont interfere too much ...

as far as i am concerned.. individuals.. ignore them ... i dont know what to tell you if there are a lot ...most likely.. their active phase is short lived.. basically. they dig a hole.. lay an egg.. go get a kady.. stuff it in the hole.. close it up and leave ... abandoning that hole and the child [whats that all about].. i dont know how many times they do it .. i though only once.. but it may have been one egg per hole ... you might want to look into their life cycle .. and perhaps.. in fall if the eggs remains so for that long.. a simple turning of the soil.. will disturb the multiyear cycle you are worrying about

knowledge is power.. lets defeat these suckers ... but lets try to avoid.. going nuclear on them.. if you can deal with it ... i would give them the space.. and consider them a free show of my garden.. but then.. i have 5 acres.. and giving them a section.. wouldnt bother me ...

good luck

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Actually, ken.....I blame ME for the sting. And I didn't smush, kill, or even injure the wasp. She flew off, though I think it was she who I saw in the vicinity later.

I've thought of another reason to exercise patience with these wasps. It's the male of the species that are so aggressive, defensive, and bossy. And......the males CAN'T sting. (Duh....that's where that rumor got started.)

If you're lucky, you'll come across a big female dragging her prey....a cicada almost twice her weight....to a nesting tunnel. The cicada is so big that your wasp can't fly very long distances with it and will end up on the ground, hauling it inch by inch.