Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A fistful of fungi...

Posted by tsugajunkie z5 SE WI (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 15:01

...for fun on the Fourth. Thought I'd post this here because I figure there's a few fungi fanciers on this forum. Alright, enough with the alliteration.

Commonly called Dead Man's Fingers for obvious reasons its botanical name is Xylaria (grows on wood) polymorpha (many shapes). Sometimes stubby, other times slender, sometimes with "finger nails" sometimes not, it always gives me a kick when I see it pop up. This is growing on an apple tree log I used to make a bit a berm with.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Have a happy Fourth...and stay cool...but not stone cold.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Fun Fungi Facts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A fistful of fungi...

That's a 'cool ' fungi! I'd be really interested in seeing the progression of this fruiting body, if you have time (and wouldn't mind). Sounds like it's a long lasting structure.

o

You got it, rhizo. I'll keep an eye on it and take pix.

tj

P.S. You were one of the folks I knew would enjoy it.

o

Just an update, 7 weeks later.

It appears the "fingernails" are much larger (does that prove they keep growing when we die?) and now are pitted at the end. Still very much intact, though.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Talk about long lasting fruiting bodies for a fungus.
Almost looks like they're preparing a gun barrel to shoot spores out of.

tj

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 22:30

I'd thought these might ripen all at once, but just now read your link and see where it says they can release spores over an extended period - interesting.

Interesting too is that your dead man seems to have 10 mature fingers at this point, do you find that just a little creepy ;)

o

How interesting! I never would have thought that they would be so sturdy and long lasting.

o

What a fabulously funky, freaky fungus!

Our farm freshly blessed us with 2 holly tree trunks from which we're formed fringes for flower beds. Frankly, I foresee them forming a few friendly, feisty fungi forms from festering.

Feel free to form frequent fotos! Forum fans find them fascinating!

(Don't really have a farm, but even thesaurus.com had no "F" word for yard or property. And I agree with spell check on "fotos" - fake form!)

o

Just a bit of closure on this thread (and since the forum is a bit slow).

This pic was from November. I'll bet a remnant is still there under the snow.

Photobucket

tj

o

Thank you, so much, for posting another image. It's so seldom we get to see what happens next!

o

This still remains one of the most interesting fungus I've seen.

o

You would think a thread about dead man's fingers would be allowed to die, but I had to add a last update.

The remnants of last year's fruiting bodies are just visible in this pic and there is the emergence of this years fruiting bodies. So things have come full circle and, like a relay race, there is no lost connection between what was and what's next.

photo cdead1.jpg

tj

Edit:Note to Photobucket users- evidently sometimes when PB shows it re-oriented your pix 90 degrees you may have to re-save them to get them to take.

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 22:56

o

Fascinating, tj. Thanks so much for posting this.

o

That last pic shows up sideways for me now. Lets try this...

photo 25350be5-6cec-45b6-8f64-d1d6a81c6bf9.jpg

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here