Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify!

Posted by boyz UT (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 15:02

Hi! I have planted 8 pumpkin plants and right now 3 of them are dead. I originally thought it was squash bugs, but now I am not so sure. I have sprayed them with Sevin twice. I am also going out and killing the squash bugs that I can find. But I am only finding about 4-5 total each time I look. I have never actually seen them/eggs on the underside of the leaves or the stalk. The only way I catch them is to water them and then get them when they come crawling out at the base of the plant.

Usually what happens is the plant leaves wilt and then within a day it is dead.

These are pix of the main stalks. The boards that you see I have placed around the main stalk to attract the squash bugs.

Photobucket

This one will be dead by tomorrow. :(
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This plant died yesterday. When I was digging around the base of the plant to see what I could find and it popped right out. There were no roots as you can see.

Any ideas out there and if I have any hope left for the remainder of my pumpkins?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify!

If a vine borer killed it, the Sevin is useless. If a fusarium wilt (Sudden squash death) killed it, your Sevin is useless. If the Sevin allowed it to live, chances are there'd be few bees left around to pollinate it.

To check for Fusarium solani f. sp. cucurbitae:

"Fusarium crown and foot rot of squash and pumpkin is caused by Fusarium solani f. sp. cucurbitae. The first symptom is wilting of the leaves. Within several days, the entire plant may wilt and die. If the soil is removed from around the base of the plant, a very distinct necrotic rot of the crown and upper portion of the taproot can be seen. The rot develops first as a light-colored, water-soaked area which becomes progressively darker. It begins in the cortex of the root, causes cortex tissue to slough off, and eventually destroys all of the tissue except the fibrous vascular strands. Infected plants break off easily about 2-4 cm below the soil line. The fungus generally is limited to the crown area of the plant."

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here