Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bees and sevin dust??

Posted by halecards 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 15:12

Hi I'm growing pumpkins, gourds, and squash and a lot of them! Squash bugs and beetles are starting to get to my plants and I'm thinking about putting sevin dust on the plants, but will that effect the bees and there pollinating?? Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bees and sevin dust??

If you read the label on your container of Sevin, you'll learn that it is highly toxic to bees, along with any other beneficial insect that may be in the vicinity of your garden. It's actually considered one of THE most toxic products you can use, in terms of bees. It is also deadly to earthworms.

Carbaryl, the active ingredient in Sevin, is a mammalian cholinesterase inhibitor, which everyone should take very seriously.

o

Oh I didn't know that! Do you recommend any other things to keep bugs away?

o

Sevin, Carbaryl, is one of the most toxic poisons around. It does kill every insect in your garden, good, bad, or indifferent as well as having adverse health affects on humans.
Just how to control the squash pests involves several steps starting with Floating Row Covers and planting those plants, often "weeds", that attract the predators of the squash pests. If sprays or dusts are needed for control start with the least toxic, not the most toxic, product available and use even that with care since even these low toxicity products are broad spectrum and will also kill off the beneficial insects.
The link below provides a comprehensive look at methods of control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Control of squash pests

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here