Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ant Damage?

Posted by tbs727 7a NW Arkansas (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 15:33

I believe this is ant damage, I just moved into this house (and garden) and the ants are terrible here. The damage is on tomatoes and tomatillos mostly. I'm thinking of trying cedar oil as a repellant. Any other organic suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ant Damage?

• Posted by tbs727 6 Northwest Arkansas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 15:34

here is a photo of the tomato damage

o

i have never been to Ark.. and God knows what kind of things live down there .. lol

but here in MI.. ants are usually.. what lures me to the culprit ... they are usually farming the honeydew from an assortment of bugs ... yeah.. its disgusting.. when you think about it.. lol ...

i presume you find nothing on the undersides??? and i doubt the tomato hole is ant ...

have you looked at night??

ken

o

Consider flea beetles.

o

Not ant damage. Many people have been taught, wrongly, that ants are pests and need to be eliminated when for the most part ants play a major role in helping keep our planet habitable for us by recycling our garbage.
Your ants may well be helping you keep the insect pests you have under control since they are known to be predators of many insect pests.

o

tbs, are the ants that you see in your garden fire ants? The fact that you are from Arkansas drives that question. Anyway, fire ant damage to fruits, veggies, berries, buds, flowers, foliage, and even bark is well documented. BUT! The pictures you have shown us don't look at all like fire ant damage at all.

I agree with the suggestion of flea beetles for all of that foliar damage. Not sure about the little hole in the fruit...I'd be tempted to cut it open and see if you can find the culprit.

o

I agree that it looks like flea beetles. Google eggplant fleas and flea beetles. I have similar damage on my tomatoes, tomatillos, and eggplants. The culprit is a tiny black beetle. Check the leaves. They'll come back every year until you find a control method that works for you. Good luck!

o

Incredible that you are able to leave your toms on the vine with color like that. No squirrels?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here