Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis leaves are brown and red on TOP

Posted by Digginlife 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 15:43

I have a clematis from home depot .3yr old and got 1 bloom this year .I am not sure of the type,it was a white bloom.Looks alot like Madame Le Coultre I don't fertilize and it has been very hot here .it gets full morn n afternoon sun.Just this year I planted a shrub in front to protect the roots.So hopefully next year the roots will ahve more coverage I dont believe I'm over watering it.
Couple questions

1Whats causing the top of the plants leaves to turn reddish brown?The bottom is completly fine.Is it just to much sun? Should I move it and when? Is there a type better suited for sunnier areas?

2If I'm unsure of the type of clematis is there any "safe or neutral" way of pruning?

3I currently ahve it attached to a 4ft trellis.Should it be taller? Will it ruin the roots or stems switching to a taller one?

4Some of the leaves look claw shaped on the clematis(Pic2 bottom left) is this normal? (The others in the background are morning glories and moonflowers)

5 Any other tips or comments .? :)

Thanks for any help!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis leaves are brown and red on TOP

Midsummer problems are because the soil is overheating. I understand you've planted a shrub to help prevent this but it would be in your best interest to mulch the clematis quite heavily with 3 to 4 inches of mulch. And continue to water & often, during these heat spells.

Dax

o
RE: Clematis leaves are brown and reddish

I just planted a the Ice Blue Clematis about 2 months ago. There was one flower that bloomed and the leaves are turning a mottled green, and brownish red. Is there something wrong with the plant or is this normal. I can't find any pictures of the leaves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here