Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats eating my tomaotes?

Posted by dragon9206 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 15:46

Hello.
My aunt had a garden in her back yard, that has a 4ft chicken wire fence around it, and the garden is raised about a foot. Something has been going around to the tomatoes and taking one bite out of them, just one. She thought it might be a turtle, but her dog keeps going out after dark and tracking around the yard like he is trailing something. So now we are wondering if maybe its an opossum? We are in town, but we get racoons, opossums, and skunks around fairly often. Do any of these animals eat tomatoes, or rather - bite tomatoes? The plants themselves arent being harmed, and whatever it is doesnt finish eating the tomato it just takes one bite out of each one, and it isn't messing with any of the other plants. (squash, zucchini, peppers, brussels sprouts, lettuce, cucumber...)

Anyone have any idea? Or know what we can do to stop this?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats eating my tomaotes?

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 21:51

Animals will take just one chunk out of tomatoes. I had a squirrel doing it one year. Drove me nuts. It is hard to stop a squirrel. Opossums eat fruits and veggies, so it is possible. I would carefully check the whole fence and ground perimeter looking for access points. If the whole area is impenetrable, something is climbing over the fence.
You could do two things, one get a motion detector sprinkler installed, or pick the tomatoes just before they get ripe.
Remy

o

I had to completely cage our tomato patch this year in 1/2" aviary wire tightly closed at night to keep out rats. They would damage ALL the fruit, ripe or not, just one bite, the bite wound is about the size of an average smallish grocery store strawberry, sometimes it looks a little gnawed at (ragged edges). Rats defensive strategy of small amount taken from each food source is one reason they are hard to poison, and a good way to identify them (tortoises don't do that!). Daytime watch for birds - crows/ravens if insufficiently molested will learn to land on food and peck it apart - backpacks, trashbags, tomato cages.

o

All of our nearly ripe tomatoes have been eaten. Thinking the problem was related to birds, we put up netting all around and above. However, something is getting in and when it eats the tomato it eats most of it - probably 3/4. It is climbing on the cage because the eaten tomatoes are found on the plant. I saw some small holes in the mulch - my original thought squirrels or chipmunks. Never have seen anything like this before. They'll eat 3 or 4 at a time. Any quess?

o

Bites/nibbles I blame on the squirrels.
Whole tomatoes I blame on the woodchuck. Believe it or not, they're good climbers! I had one devour a Mina lobata vine on a 5' obelisk!

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 4, 07 at 19:11

I think squirrels can easily climb over the chicken wire, especially near a post where it's supported. I had 1/4" plastic mesh cylinders(24" high) wrapped around my tomato cages and they went right up and over it. When I tried the plastic mesh without the tomato cages supporting it, the squirrels wouldn't climb over it because it would collapse under their weight.

The ultimate solution was my Hav-A-Hart trap. After catching 9 squirrels (and some rats) last year, I haven't had any squirrels since.

jc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here