Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pathoflight_gw

Help with spider plant!

pathoflight
11 years ago

Hi,

I was recently given a curly spider plant, it died when the leaves started to turn brown, then it just seemed to rot. The leaves are turning brown in the center of the leaf, not the the tips. I've been given a second one and want to make sure I don't have the same trouble with it.

I rarely water them, I've had the new one for 2 weeks and haven't watered it yet.

I've had a number of different variety of spider plants over the years and have never seen them brown in the center of the leaves like this or had any sort of trouble with them. They've always been like weeds.

Any ideas or suggestions? I would like to be able to keep this one.

I am at work so I don't have a picture of the brown leaves but I attached a pic of it looking healthy. The brown part usually affects the white section first and starts a few inches from the tip of the leaf. I can get a better picture when I get home.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i am pretty sure.. there is a very active houseplant forum..

but i dont know what to tell you about 'fixing' a healthy plant???

from the pic above.. it looks VERY big for the small pot.. but that might be camera angle ..

if i were you.. i would water it well.. and weigh it ... just with your hand.. and learn what 'full of water feels like' and learn .. how to tell by weight.. when it needs water..

when fully watered.. mine weigh a lot.. held at arms length ...

when i come back a week or so later.. i try the same thing.. and it nearly flies out of my arm because there is no moisture in the pot.. and that is when i know it needs another deep watering ..

and this is a way to figure out.. what is too much water.. versus.. too little water ...

i have had plants.. that there is no media left in the pot.. the roots simply fill the entire pot.. and that is when i start having the leaf discoloration and problems.. there is simply nothing there to hold water ...

and you find that out.. by taking off the hanger.. and tipping the plant ... upside down.. into your hands.. and finding out what is going on with the root mass ...

since it is a new plant.. this is probably not an issue right now.. but it can be in 6 to 12 months ... and when i find that.. i stick two or three of the babes in a small pot.. and when they root in.. and get active.. i throw mom away.. get some fresh media.. and start over ... in my world.. warped as it is.. i still have the same plant.. so even if it were a gift.. i feel no sorrow.. for getting rid of a problem.. while retaining the gift ..

good luck

ken

• pathoflight
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply! I know it does look healthy from that pic. Here is another one that shows the brown on the leaves. It was very big for the pot so I separated it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i get those brown streaks ..

usually in winter.. when i forget to water them for a month or two ... lol .. up here in MI.. low humidity with the constantly running furnace.. and lack of attention are the culprits ...

just pull of snip off the old affected leaves ....

if you just got it.. it will be hard to say.. what stressed it ... to cause such ...

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Ken's right about the house plant forum. Come on by!

• pathoflight
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken! Good to know you've had this too. I used to be bad for over watering years ago and ended up with gnats so now I tend to underwater more often so that could very well be it. Its not very humid up here either! I agree just getting it and not knowing much about it has made it tricky but I am hoping to get some babies off of it and just start a new one like you suggested. Thanks for your advice!

• pathoflight
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Purpleinopp!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner