Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify pest and eggs on my magnolia

Posted by rakin 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:00

I have been on a quest to figure out what is wrong with my magnolias, and today I discovered these two things. This is the only egg patch that I could find, so I doubt this is serious, but none the less I would like to know what it is before it becomes a new problem.

Eggs on one of the branches. Sorry it is not clearer, but they appear to be wrapped in a sort of webbed sac.

Beetles infestation in the mulch around the magnolias. A little bit bigger than a lady bug. Is it just a common ground beetle or something else? Are they harmful to trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify pest and eggs on my magnolia

looks like a flea beetle... but i am not sure ...

and that one bug.. and those few eggs.. are NOT significantly affecting a mature tree ...

if you want to diagnose the tree.. we need more pix of the tree ..

ken

o

The image of the black insect is not helpful.....too small. I don't think it's a flea beetle, however.

As for the other, you're right that the image is a poor one! My suggestion can only be a wild guess because of that. I don't think that they are eggs at all but one of the cottony scale insects. Look that up to compare.

If not even close, try again with some better images.

o

Thanks, I looked at the cottony scale online. I need to go back and take a closer look at the tree. I do recall a couple of leaves during my heavy inspection which had a cottony material at the tip edge. I chalked it up to a left over nest of some sort, but maybe it was scale. Those leaves went into the trash bin.
Also, what sort of insect is it that spins a white web/cocoon between two leaves. I know I read this somewhere, but can't remember now. I pulled a couple of these leaves off that we're stuck together.

I too, originally thought that the beetles were some sort of flea beetle, but in my guide to garden pest book, they looked more like a ground beetle.
Just to be sure, I will be showing it to the arborist that I called this evening. I can't take the stress and worry anymore. He comes tomorrow. I will update with his take on the matter.

Ken_adrain, I posted about the main issue previously under the tree section. You were kind enough to respond there, but I am still searching for answers.

This post was edited by rakin on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 21:55

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here