Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mharris1x

Sick walnut tree - mites, mildew, aphids you name it

mharris1x
13 years ago

This is a followup post to my prior post about spider mites and challenging foliage. This is my walnut tree situation (I also have an oak problem but not as severe, Rosemary and ice plant). I have included a few pictures.

Background:

- This is a new house, I moved in 9 mos ago knowing nothing about trees.

- 9 mos ago Walnut tree was not sick, hundreds of squirrels in the yard (in fact my major concern was squirrel control, then).

- 6 mos ago mockingbirds built a huge hotel in the tree and had a big party scaring away the squirrels but now they are gone.

- Now squirrels won't touch the tree or the nuts. They come in, bite the nuts and drop them.

Tree pictures:

- First picture overall view of tree. Notice the dead part at 12 o'clock. Otherwise tree looks healthy with big canope.

- Next the trunk, there are 4 tree trunks actually or one tree underneath with only the 4 large branches sticking out of the soil, not sure. Trunk looks ok.

- Next pictures from inside the tree, under the canope, there is a fair amt of dead branches. is this normal?

- Next the mites. Lots of powdery residue where the mites are. Some leaves have just the powdery spots and others have round spiderwebs of mites?

- Last picture the powdery mildew which is also on the front of many leaves.

Also there are aphids.

I mentioned I was planning a large prune, and someone said to be careful there, I thought when you had mites and mildew this bad you needed to basically cut it out which is what I was planning.

Assistance appreciated, thanks!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut tree picasa album

Comment (1)