Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mid-summer yellowing of leaves on gray birch: a real bad sign?

Posted by slowgarden none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 16:36

We're coming out of a heat wave here. Nothing really major AFAIAC, but I lacked time to weed thoroughly the base of our birch and water it, until just a day or so ago... I am fearing now maybe too late, because it didn't seem to stop it from shedding yellow leaves... Maybe 5 to 8% gone now. This tree was planted 10 years ago, at about 2-3 years of age I guess. It has been thriving fantastically and beautifully ever since, with zero care save for some weeding and minimal mulching. I see in books that this species has a short lifespan. Do you think it is time yet to think about a replacement? Here, spring has been very rainy this year, but summer so far is too dry...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mid-summer yellowing of leaves on gray birch: a real bad sign

Birches need lots of water. Maybe it will make it if you give it what it needs.

Dan

o

Various of my trees shed leaves all during the growing season with some turning yellow before dropping. It is normal, especially if the leaves come from someplace on the tree where they get very little or no sunlight. Unless it is a fairly large amount it most likely is not anything to be concerned about.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 1, 11 at 17:10

Dan is right, birch need water and don't do well in extended dry periods....which means they thrive here where cool moist soil is the rule, but that doesn't help you :)

Start watering deeply once a week until you've had some rainfall if this tree is important to you. 12 or 13 years is exceptionally short lived for any tree including birch, it hasn't reached its natural lifespan.

o

Thanks to all for your help! Sorry that I could not follow your replies more vigilantly. I actually had time to do what Dan suggested. Then covered the weeded zone at the tree's base with its own shedded leaves. ...Then luckily a major shower came along. ...Then the yellowing stopped almost instantly! We love this tree so much; starts to shade the house from the S-W sun, and is a winter haven for redpolls! Many thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here