Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
disease or blight on cucumber plants

Posted by Megan0127 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 16:39

I'm a beginning gardener, and several of the plants in my first-year raised vegetable bed have turned awful in the last week or so. One tomato plant started the trend, starting several weeks ago--leaves and stems turning yellow and then brown and shriveled. But in the last week it hit the cucumbers (photo attached--I'm sorry it's sideways) and then the zucchini. I had aphids last week and sprayed a soap-water aphid-smothering solution on the plants every other morning a couple times. This current problem looks more like grey mold when I compare it to pics in the gardening books, but the conditions in my garden don't seem right for grey mold--the plants are widely spaced, and I'm in dry Southern California. The soil is a combo of organic compost and garden soil, and there are tomato fertilizer stakes in the soil around the tomato plants. I haven't otherwise fertilized the garden since we built it in early May.

I'm woefully inexperienced and in need of advice. What is ailing my plants, and what can I do? Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: disease or blight on cucumber plants

oops; no picture

o

aphids carrys viruses and beetles carries bacteria.

o

dont know without pictures though. powdery mildew wild guess.

o

All compost is organic. Anyone that sells you "organic compost" may be selling you a "pig in poke". The term "garden soil" is the same, meaningless since that can be anything the seller wants it to be.
Pictures may be of some help as can a visit to your counties office of the University of California Cooperative Extension Service where they would want you to bring in samples of what you see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here